Re: [carfree_cities] Re: CAR FREE DAY

  • adolfo restrepo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      Regarding carfree and alternatives, it is diffucult
      question because of the social/eco diversity between
      geogrpahies and urban layout. Suburbia was made for
      the car and wharehouse economy of scale.

      I don't know dymamics about the first car free day in
      france. I can only speak about Bogota because I lived
      there when the change occured. Bogota was originaly an
      orderly planned city, yet developed very organically,
      with various key nexus points. Bogota is dense yet
      has many symetrically spaced public spaces. I had
      thought that chaos was normal for the city, you
      literally saw canyons of black smoke rising above
      certain avenues.

      Carfree day in Bogota happened as a result of evolving
      top down approach started with democratization
      apparatus of Mayor Jaime Castro. It was followed by
      Mayor Mockus who set the roots of change on a societal
      level through the pedegogical approach. Mockus was key
      because he prepared and sensitized population to
      change, self-regulating inclusion, civic
      responsibility
      and mobilization, and a common urban discourse. When
      the the referendum for car-free day was presented,
      those who voted were already educated about the issues
      and possiblities for sustainable growth. I thought
      something different was happening when I once came
      back from the U.S. and saw dozens of clowns directing
      traffic and educating people on the streets. The
      Mayor Mockus began to make presentations dressed as
      Superman with the twist of calling himself
      Supercivico. For more you can read the below link.
      The key for changing Bogota was that he turned a city
      of 7.5 million into a classroom.

      http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/03.11/01-mockus.html

      Best regards,
      Gustavo A. Ortiz