Re: [carfree_cities] CAR FREE DAY

  • Patrick McDonough
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      If this isn't a joke, please visit www.gocarfree.com.

      Patrick

      alf_1234 wrote:

      >To help liberate our community from the dependence on oil, we're
      >thinking of organizing a "car free" day. This is where people do not
      >use their cars for a day using public or other forms of
      >transportation. Our thought is to have a gthering in a park with
      >speakers and information on mobility without cars.
      >
      >Has anybody heard of this?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • alf_1234
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        No joke...thanks for the link...the attempt is to reintroduce people
        to mobility alternativee, hopefully resulting in reduced car usage,
        especially in good weather.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Patrick McDonough
        <patrick1@e...> wrote:
        > If this isn't a joke, please visit www.gocarfree.com.
        >
        > Patrick
        >
        > alf_1234 wrote:
        >
        > >To help liberate our community from the dependence on oil, we're
        > >thinking of organizing a "car free" day. This is where people do
        not
        > >use their cars for a day using public or other forms of
        > >transportation. Our thought is to have a gthering in a park with
        > >speakers and information on mobility without cars.
        > >
        > >Has anybody heard of this?

        > >To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: carfree_cities-
        unsubscribe@e...
        > >Group address: http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • adolfo restrepo
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          Regarding carfree and alternatives, it is diffucult
          question because of the social/eco diversity between
          geogrpahies and urban layout. Suburbia was made for
          the car and wharehouse economy of scale.

          I don't know dymamics about the first car free day in
          france. I can only speak about Bogota because I lived
          there when the change occured. Bogota was originaly an
          orderly planned city, yet developed very organically,
          with various key nexus points. Bogota is dense yet
          has many symetrically spaced public spaces. I had
          thought that chaos was normal for the city, you
          literally saw canyons of black smoke rising above
          certain avenues.

          Carfree day in Bogota happened as a result of evolving
          top down approach started with democratization
          apparatus of Mayor Jaime Castro. It was followed by
          Mayor Mockus who set the roots of change on a societal
          level through the pedegogical approach. Mockus was key
          because he prepared and sensitized population to
          change, self-regulating inclusion, civic
          responsibility
          and mobilization, and a common urban discourse. When
          the the referendum for car-free day was presented,
          those who voted were already educated about the issues
          and possiblities for sustainable growth. I thought
          something different was happening when I once came
          back from the U.S. and saw dozens of clowns directing
          traffic and educating people on the streets. The
          Mayor Mockus began to make presentations dressed as
          Superman with the twist of calling himself
          Supercivico. For more you can read the below link.
          The key for changing Bogota was that he turned a city
          of 7.5 million into a classroom.

          http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/03.11/01-mockus.html

          Best regards,
          Gustavo A. Ortiz