CAR FREE DAY

  • alf_1234
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
      To help liberate our community from the dependence on oil, we're
      thinking of organizing a "car free" day. This is where people do not
      use their cars for a day using public or other forms of
      transportation. Our thought is to have a gthering in a park with
      speakers and information on mobility without cars.

      Has anybody heard of this?
    • Patrick McDonough
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        If this isn't a joke, please visit www.gocarfree.com.

        Patrick

        alf_1234 wrote:

        >To help liberate our community from the dependence on oil, we're
        >thinking of organizing a "car free" day. This is where people do not
        >use their cars for a day using public or other forms of
        >transportation. Our thought is to have a gthering in a park with
        >speakers and information on mobility without cars.
        >
        >Has anybody heard of this?

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • alf_1234
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          No joke...thanks for the link...the attempt is to reintroduce people
          to mobility alternativee, hopefully resulting in reduced car usage,
          especially in good weather.

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Patrick McDonough
          <patrick1@e...> wrote:
          > If this isn't a joke, please visit www.gocarfree.com.
          >
          > Patrick
          >
          > alf_1234 wrote:
          >
          > >To help liberate our community from the dependence on oil, we're
          > >thinking of organizing a "car free" day. This is where people do
          not
          > >use their cars for a day using public or other forms of
          > >transportation. Our thought is to have a gthering in a park with
          > >speakers and information on mobility without cars.
          > >
          > >Has anybody heard of this?

          > >To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: carfree_cities-
          unsubscribe@e...
          > >Group address: http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • adolfo restrepo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
            Regarding carfree and alternatives, it is diffucult
            question because of the social/eco diversity between
            geogrpahies and urban layout. Suburbia was made for
            the car and wharehouse economy of scale.

            I don't know dymamics about the first car free day in
            france. I can only speak about Bogota because I lived
            there when the change occured. Bogota was originaly an
            orderly planned city, yet developed very organically,
            with various key nexus points. Bogota is dense yet
            has many symetrically spaced public spaces. I had
            thought that chaos was normal for the city, you
            literally saw canyons of black smoke rising above
            certain avenues.

            Carfree day in Bogota happened as a result of evolving
            top down approach started with democratization
            apparatus of Mayor Jaime Castro. It was followed by
            Mayor Mockus who set the roots of change on a societal
            level through the pedegogical approach. Mockus was key
            because he prepared and sensitized population to
            change, self-regulating inclusion, civic
            responsibility
            and mobilization, and a common urban discourse. When
            the the referendum for car-free day was presented,
            those who voted were already educated about the issues
            and possiblities for sustainable growth. I thought
            something different was happening when I once came
            back from the U.S. and saw dozens of clowns directing
            traffic and educating people on the streets. The
            Mayor Mockus began to make presentations dressed as
            Superman with the twist of calling himself
            Supercivico. For more you can read the below link.
            The key for changing Bogota was that he turned a city
            of 7.5 million into a classroom.

            http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/03.11/01-mockus.html

            Best regards,
            Gustavo A. Ortiz