Bogota carfree day update

  • adolfo restrepo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
      Carfree day first occurred in La Rochelle France 1997
      In 2000 Bogota voted by referdendum to implement
      annual carfree day

      carfree day update feb 3, 20005

      Over a million cars taken off the streets

      83 tickets to car owners, tickets for circulating on
      car free dat are almost 100 dollars where minimum wage
      is about 150 dollars a month

      92 tickets given to bike owners

      NO2 levels down 62%

      CO2 levels demonstrate no significant reduction,
      attributed largely to public transport

      Sound pollution reduction down 1.8 decibles

      Business associations claimed that sales were down by
      42% during 2004 carfree day yet citizens surveyed
      continue to show strong support for carfree day

      best regards,
      gustavo a. ortiz

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • alf_1234
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
        When is the next car free day? Are there any organized in the US?
        Our community is interested in organizing one..

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, adolfo restrepo