Re: [carfree_cities] How to have a car once in a while?

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hurray Allan!

      Yeah, as far as I know Flexcar is a super sophisticated operation.

      JUST please drive as slow as possible IF you decide to take this option.

      Todd

    • katroshka
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
        I have checked out Flexcar, but it seems not to be a very cost
        effective option for us. When my husband would need a car for a gig,
        it would most likely be sitting in a parking lot for 8- 10 hours,
        only driven maybe an hour or two. If we signed up for the hourly
        rate, we'd be talking $80- $100 for one day. Or we could pay $85 a
        month and have 10 included hours- one gig. If we wanted it for 25
        hours a month, it would be $200! Enterprise rents cars for $25 a day,
        and even if we had to pay extra for insurance, I think it would
        probably still be cheaper.

        I am pretty sure that is the only carshare program in town.

        As for moving, I hardly think that is a feasible option. We moved
        back here from New York a couple years ago, and it cost us about
        $10,000, when you factor in moving expenses and not having a job for
        a while. And we do love San Diego. It's a great city, and there is
        really nowhere else in this country I would want to live in. We are
        from here, are family is here, our friends are here.... And we would
        have the same situation anywhere else, simply because of the nature
        of my husband's work.

        Thanks for the advice.
      • CEB
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
          Hi Kat,

          Dont give up!!!

          Unfortunately, I dont have any more bright ideas right now.

          - Todd

        • jdeleo@pacbell.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2005
            We're in a car-share here in San Francisco. Works great, when you need
            a car for a few hours. They are affiliated with car rental places as
            well, so if we need a car for an entire day we rent one.
          • Andras Toth
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
              >So we just got our driver's permits. It all of a sudden hits us how
              >complicated this all is.
              >We can't practice on our friend's cars, or even my parent's cars, because
              >we don't have
              >insurance. So we will probably have to take classes. After we get our
              >licenses, what will we
              >drive? Even if we wanted our own car, we really can't afford it. We could
              >rent a car when we

              Sorry for asking trivial questions for Americans, but here in Hungary we
              have only one driving license you get only after taking compulsory classes
              and an passing exam.
              So what's the story with driver's permits and licenses in the US? What can
              you do with a driver's permit that you can't do without a license?

              Andras Toth
              Budapest
            • Karen Sandness
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
                On Feb 12, 2005, at 5:58 PM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Sorry for asking trivial questions for Americans, but here in Hungary
                > we
                > have only one driving license you get only after taking compulsory
                > classes
                > and an passing exam.
                > So what's the story with driver's permits and licenses in the US? What
                > can
                > you do with a driver's permit that you can't do without a license?

                A driver's permit is for people who are learning to drive and need to
                practice in order to pass their license exam. They have to take a
                written test about traffic rules, and they can practice only with an
                adult licensed driver accompanying them. In order to get a license to
                drive alone, they have to take another test about traffic rules and
                also take a road test to demonstrate how well they can perform various
                maneuvers, such as turning right and left, backing up, parallel
                parking, passing, and stopping. If they pass the road test, they
                receive their license.

                The part that most people dread is parallel parking. My mother had to
                take the test twice, because the examiner asked her to park the car
                within a rectangle marked by red flags. She failed the test the first
                time, because she knocked over a flag.

                The licensing of drivers is a function of the individual states, but
                most follow this procedure. When moving from one state to another,
                licensed drivers must apply for a new license, but this is a simple
                matter of taking the rules test and paying a fee.

                In transit,
                Karen Sandness