Re: [carfree_cities] American rickshaws?

  • Andrew Hitchcock
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
      I thought about this a few months ago. It seemed like a good weekend job
      to get some exercise, increase car free awareness (you don't need a
      taxi!), and make a little extra cash. I don't believe taxis are allowed to
      pick people up off the street here in Seattle, so it wouldn't have much
      competition in downtown (except with buses, but not everyone wants to take
      one of those and sometimes bus stops are far away). It might be popular to
      shuttle around the people who come to town on the weekends, who don't
      necessarily know the bus schedule that well and just want to get somewhere
      quick.

      Also, rickshaws are preferable in car free city over taxis in a car filled
      city because they are quiet, cleaner (no pollution), much cheaper to buy
      and operate, the operators get exercise, and you don't have to be that
      skilled to run one.

      Andrew

      > I think it would be great fun to start promoting
      > rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
      > little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
      > our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
      > of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
      > some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
      > no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
      > only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
      > would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
      > we're trying to defend them from attack.
      > Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
      > working with me on this?
      > Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)
      >
      > --- CEB <cyklopraha@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I predict that in a few days this thread will be
      >> about carfree cities with lots of bicycles and
      >> tricycles and people asking what to call these huge
      >> heavy noisy things with four wheels that people use
      >> outside of town and want to use during public
      >> transit strikes.
      >>
      >> Todd

      >> > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
      >> > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      >> > Datum: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:10:29 -0500
      >> > Pøedmìt: Re: [carfree_cities] name advice needed
      >> >

      >> > One thing that strikes me, having looked at what
      >> is offered in public
      >> > use bike programs (and especially in the context
      >> of carfree city
      >> > planning), is that it would be an especially
      >> useful idea to offer,
      >> > either alongside or instead of bicycles, tricycles
      >> adapted to carry
      >> > freight or more than one passenger. "Pick-up"
      >> bikes in other words. If
      >> > build sufficiently wide, they would also be likely
      >> to deter theft,
      >> > since they would be less easy to wheel through a
      >> typical urban doorway.
      >> > In a carfree city, there would certainly be an
      >> especially high demand
      >> > for such bikes, whether for small group excursions
      >> or for shopping
      >> > trips. (I rather doubt that all deliveries would
      >> always be taken care
      >> > of by stores.) Furthermore, being tricycles, their
      >> greater stability
      >> > might attract users who would not be likely to use
      >> bikes.
      >> >
      >> > Chris Miller
      >> > Washington DC/Mount Rainier Maryland
      >> > USA

      >> carfree_cities@...
      >> > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
      >> > Group address:
      >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
      >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

      >> carfree_cities@...
      >> Group address:
      >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
        Just a picky little correction: a rickshaw (from the Japanese
        "jinrikisha") is a two-wheeled passenger vehicle, sort of like a pony
        cart, only with a person playing the role of pony. They were banned in
        China under the Communist government, and they are extinct in Japan,
        except as novelty rides in tourist spots or as a way for high-class
        geisha to arrive at an appointment.

        The discussion here is apparently about pedicabs, which are not used to
        any great extent in Japan but which seemed to be the freight vehicle of
        choice in China when I was there in 1990 and were even used as taxicabs
        in some cities.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness
      • Debra Efroymson
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
          Not to prolong an unnecessary discussion but in
          Bangladesh (a country of 140 million people), they
          call the three-wheel model a rickshaw. Pedicab may
          indeed be useful as an international term, but it is
          meaningless here, where rickshaws are still a main
          source of transport.
          Anima

          http://mail.yahoo.com