Re: [carfree_cities] American rickshaws?

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
      Chris!

      That stuff is so cool it almost made it cry.

      One good thing about Velotaxi and some of these designs is their capacity for generating revenue by being a moving advert. This of course brings in the "corporate rape of public visual space" issue but sometimes traffic calm-promising is ok or you could advertise only socially-beneficially things...

      Does the Danish ad bike thing rotate? Genius!!

      Todd
      > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
      > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > Datum: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:54:39 -0500
      > Předmět: Re: [carfree_cities] American rickshaws?
      >

      > A couple of links to other manufacturers that I know of:
      >
      > Nihola in Denmark build several models of individual/family
      > three-wheelers. Most of the information on the site is in Danish and
      > German. They have English translations in the works but they aren't up
      > yet for the most part. However, their pictures are worth a thousand
      > words: there are several for each of the models listed in the linkbar
      > on the left side of the page. And don't mind the whimsical names like
      > Cigar family and Cigar dog: click on the link and you'll see what
      > they're all about. The Nihola page:
      >
      > http://www.nihola.dk/
      >
      > Some interesting electric-assisted quadricycles targeted at commercial
      > users are designed by Advanced Vehicle Designs in England. They include
      > a Taxi, Van and Stablemate models and go for between 3000 and 4800
      > euros depending n the model:
      >
      > http://www.a-v-d.com/
      >
      > The parent company recently sold off this segment of their business to
      > a German company, whose site still only has partial information:
      >
      > http://www.work-bikes.de/
      >
      > The designs have also been licensed to a US group of entrepeneurs in
      > Pennsylvania, who have tons of info and images on their site:
      >
      > http://www.kronosport.com/
      >
      > As it is, it looks like there is a "trike-load" of good ideas for
      > workbikes out there, ready to take the place of conventional cars and
      > small trucks if given a chance. Is anyone else aware of other workbike
      > oufits?
      >
      > Chris Miller
      > Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
      >
      > On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:04 AM, Richard Risemberg wrote:
      >

      > > I've ridden commercial pedicabs in Santa Barbara, California, and I
      > > think thehre's an operation in Denver--not sure. The folks to contact
      > > would be the ones doing a good business selling pedicabs (trishaw) in
      > > the US. Start with this bunch:
      > >
      > > http://www.pedicab.com/

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Andrew Hitchcock
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
        I thought about this a few months ago. It seemed like a good weekend job
        to get some exercise, increase car free awareness (you don't need a
        taxi!), and make a little extra cash. I don't believe taxis are allowed to
        pick people up off the street here in Seattle, so it wouldn't have much
        competition in downtown (except with buses, but not everyone wants to take
        one of those and sometimes bus stops are far away). It might be popular to
        shuttle around the people who come to town on the weekends, who don't
        necessarily know the bus schedule that well and just want to get somewhere
        quick.

        Also, rickshaws are preferable in car free city over taxis in a car filled
        city because they are quiet, cleaner (no pollution), much cheaper to buy
        and operate, the operators get exercise, and you don't have to be that
        skilled to run one.

        Andrew

        > I think it would be great fun to start promoting
        > rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
        > little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
        > our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
        > of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
        > some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
        > no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
        > only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
        > would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
        > we're trying to defend them from attack.
        > Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
        > working with me on this?
        > Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)
        >
        > --- CEB <cyklopraha@...> wrote:
        >

        >> I predict that in a few days this thread will be
        >> about carfree cities with lots of bicycles and
        >> tricycles and people asking what to call these huge
        >> heavy noisy things with four wheels that people use
        >> outside of town and want to use during public
        >> transit strikes.
        >>
        >> Todd

        >> > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
        >> > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
        >> > Datum: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:10:29 -0500
        >> > Pøedmìt: Re: [carfree_cities] name advice needed
        >> >

        >> > One thing that strikes me, having looked at what
        >> is offered in public
        >> > use bike programs (and especially in the context
        >> of carfree city
        >> > planning), is that it would be an especially
        >> useful idea to offer,
        >> > either alongside or instead of bicycles, tricycles
        >> adapted to carry
        >> > freight or more than one passenger. "Pick-up"
        >> bikes in other words. If
        >> > build sufficiently wide, they would also be likely
        >> to deter theft,
        >> > since they would be less easy to wheel through a
        >> typical urban doorway.
        >> > In a carfree city, there would certainly be an
        >> especially high demand
        >> > for such bikes, whether for small group excursions
        >> or for shopping
        >> > trips. (I rather doubt that all deliveries would
        >> always be taken care
        >> > of by stores.) Furthermore, being tricycles, their
        >> greater stability
        >> > might attract users who would not be likely to use
        >> bikes.
        >> >
        >> > Chris Miller
        >> > Washington DC/Mount Rainier Maryland
        >> > USA

        >> carfree_cities@...
        >> > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
        >> > Group address:
        >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
        >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

        >> carfree_cities@...
        >> Group address:
        >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Karen Sandness
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
          Just a picky little correction: a rickshaw (from the Japanese
          "jinrikisha") is a two-wheeled passenger vehicle, sort of like a pony
          cart, only with a person playing the role of pony. They were banned in
          China under the Communist government, and they are extinct in Japan,
          except as novelty rides in tourist spots or as a way for high-class
          geisha to arrive at an appointment.

          The discussion here is apparently about pedicabs, which are not used to
          any great extent in Japan but which seemed to be the freight vehicle of
          choice in China when I was there in 1990 and were even used as taxicabs
          in some cities.

          In transit,
          Karen Sandness
        • Debra Efroymson
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
            Not to prolong an unnecessary discussion but in
            Bangladesh (a country of 140 million people), they
            call the three-wheel model a rickshaw. Pedicab may
            indeed be useful as an international term, but it is
            meaningless here, where rickshaws are still a main
            source of transport.
            Anima

            http://mail.yahoo.com