American rickshaws?

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
      I think it would be great fun to start promoting
      rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
      little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
      our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
      of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
      some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
      no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
      only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
      would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
      we're trying to defend them from attack.
      Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
      working with me on this?
      Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)

      --- CEB <cyklopraha@...> wrote:

      > I predict that in a few days this thread will be
      > about carfree cities with lots of bicycles and
      > tricycles and people asking what to call these huge
      > heavy noisy things with four wheels that people use
      > outside of town and want to use during public
      > transit strikes.
      >
      > Todd

      > > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
      > > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > > Datum: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:10:29 -0500
      > > P�edm�t: Re: [carfree_cities] name advice needed
      > >

      > > One thing that strikes me, having looked at what
      > is offered in public
      > > use bike programs (and especially in the context
      > of carfree city
      > > planning), is that it would be an especially
      > useful idea to offer,
      > > either alongside or instead of bicycles, tricycles
      > adapted to carry
      > > freight or more than one passenger. "Pick-up"
      > bikes in other words. If
      > > build sufficiently wide, they would also be likely
      > to deter theft,
      > > since they would be less easy to wheel through a
      > typical urban doorway.
      > > In a carfree city, there would certainly be an
      > especially high demand
      > > for such bikes, whether for small group excursions
      > or for shopping
      > > trips. (I rather doubt that all deliveries would
      > always be taken care
      > > of by stores.) Furthermore, being tricycles, their
      > greater stability
      > > might attract users who would not be likely to use
      > bikes.
      > >
      > > Chris Miller
      > > Washington DC/Mount Rainier Maryland
      > > USA

      > carfree_cities@...
      > > Group address:
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > carfree_cities@...
      > Group address:
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • CEB
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
        Debra,

        As you may know Velotaxi was a contributor to the program of TCFC V in Berlin last summer. I am currently talking about a related thing with the creators-managers of Velotaxi, so if you want I can "introduce" you to them. They have had a lot of feelers out for many years into possible new markets, so you might want to see what they think about USA as one of them.

        In most of the non-Western world Velotaxis would be simply too expensive to purchase and operate, BUT... you could do some solidarity programme where a portion of fares in USA go to support individuals or organisations in a place like Dhaka (see our website for more info on the Rickshaw ban there).

        Todd, Steering Commitee WCN

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
          I've ridden commercial pedicabs in Santa Barbara, California, and I
          think thehre's an operation in Denver--not sure. The folks to contact
          would be the ones doing a good business selling pedicabs (trishaw) in
          the US. Start with this bunch:

          http://www.pedicab.com/

          Rick

          On Feb 1, 2005, at 1:55 AM, Debra Efroymson wrote:

          > I think it would be great fun to start promoting
          > rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
          > little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
          > our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
          > of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
          > some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
          > no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
          > only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
          > would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
          > we're trying to defend them from attack.
          > Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
          > working with me on this?
          > Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)
          http://www.living-room.org
        • Christopher Miller
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
            A couple of links to other manufacturers that I know of:

            Nihola in Denmark build several models of individual/family
            three-wheelers. Most of the information on the site is in Danish and
            German. They have English translations in the works but they aren't up
            yet for the most part. However, their pictures are worth a thousand
            words: there are several for each of the models listed in the linkbar
            on the left side of the page. And don't mind the whimsical names like
            Cigar family and Cigar dog: click on the link and you'll see what
            they're all about. The Nihola page:

            http://www.nihola.dk/

            Some interesting electric-assisted quadricycles targeted at commercial
            users are designed by Advanced Vehicle Designs in England. They include
            a Taxi, Van and Stablemate models and go for between 3000 and 4800
            euros depending n the model:

            http://www.a-v-d.com/

            The parent company recently sold off this segment of their business to
            a German company, whose site still only has partial information:

            http://www.work-bikes.de/

            The designs have also been licensed to a US group of entrepeneurs in
            Pennsylvania, who have tons of info and images on their site:

            http://www.kronosport.com/

            As it is, it looks like there is a "trike-load" of good ideas for
            workbikes out there, ready to take the place of conventional cars and
            small trucks if given a chance. Is anyone else aware of other workbike
            oufits?

            On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:04 AM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

            > I've ridden commercial pedicabs in Santa Barbara, California, and I
            > think thehre's an operation in Denver--not sure. The folks to contact
            > would be the ones doing a good business selling pedicabs (trishaw) in
            > the US. Start with this bunch:
            >
            > http://www.pedicab.com/
          • CEB
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
              Chris!

              That stuff is so cool it almost made it cry.

              One good thing about Velotaxi and some of these designs is their capacity for generating revenue by being a moving advert. This of course brings in the "corporate rape of public visual space" issue but sometimes traffic calm-promising is ok or you could advertise only socially-beneficially things...

              Does the Danish ad bike thing rotate? Genius!!

              Todd
              > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
              > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
              > Datum: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:54:39 -0500
              > Předmět: Re: [carfree_cities] American rickshaws?
              >

              > A couple of links to other manufacturers that I know of:
              >
              > Nihola in Denmark build several models of individual/family
              > three-wheelers. Most of the information on the site is in Danish and
              > German. They have English translations in the works but they aren't up
              > yet for the most part. However, their pictures are worth a thousand
              > words: there are several for each of the models listed in the linkbar
              > on the left side of the page. And don't mind the whimsical names like
              > Cigar family and Cigar dog: click on the link and you'll see what
              > they're all about. The Nihola page:
              >
              > http://www.nihola.dk/
              >
              > Some interesting electric-assisted quadricycles targeted at commercial
              > users are designed by Advanced Vehicle Designs in England. They include
              > a Taxi, Van and Stablemate models and go for between 3000 and 4800
              > euros depending n the model:
              >
              > http://www.a-v-d.com/
              >
              > The parent company recently sold off this segment of their business to
              > a German company, whose site still only has partial information:
              >
              > http://www.work-bikes.de/
              >
              > The designs have also been licensed to a US group of entrepeneurs in
              > Pennsylvania, who have tons of info and images on their site:
              >
              > http://www.kronosport.com/
              >
              > As it is, it looks like there is a "trike-load" of good ideas for
              > workbikes out there, ready to take the place of conventional cars and
              > small trucks if given a chance. Is anyone else aware of other workbike
              > oufits?
              >
              > Chris Miller
              > Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
              >
              > On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:04 AM, Richard Risemberg wrote:
              >

              > > I've ridden commercial pedicabs in Santa Barbara, California, and I
              > > think thehre's an operation in Denver--not sure. The folks to contact
              > > would be the ones doing a good business selling pedicabs (trishaw) in
              > > the US. Start with this bunch:
              > >
              > > http://www.pedicab.com/

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew Hitchcock
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
                I thought about this a few months ago. It seemed like a good weekend job
                to get some exercise, increase car free awareness (you don't need a
                taxi!), and make a little extra cash. I don't believe taxis are allowed to
                pick people up off the street here in Seattle, so it wouldn't have much
                competition in downtown (except with buses, but not everyone wants to take
                one of those and sometimes bus stops are far away). It might be popular to
                shuttle around the people who come to town on the weekends, who don't
                necessarily know the bus schedule that well and just want to get somewhere
                quick.

                Also, rickshaws are preferable in car free city over taxis in a car filled
                city because they are quiet, cleaner (no pollution), much cheaper to buy
                and operate, the operators get exercise, and you don't have to be that
                skilled to run one.

                Andrew

                > I think it would be great fun to start promoting
                > rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
                > little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
                > our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
                > of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
                > some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
                > no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
                > only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
                > would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
                > we're trying to defend them from attack.
                > Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
                > working with me on this?
                > Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)
                >
                > --- CEB <cyklopraha@...> wrote:
                >

                >> I predict that in a few days this thread will be
                >> about carfree cities with lots of bicycles and
                >> tricycles and people asking what to call these huge
                >> heavy noisy things with four wheels that people use
                >> outside of town and want to use during public
                >> transit strikes.
                >>
                >> Todd

                >> > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
                >> > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
                >> > Datum: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:10:29 -0500
                >> > Pøedmìt: Re: [carfree_cities] name advice needed
                >> >

                >> > One thing that strikes me, having looked at what
                >> is offered in public
                >> > use bike programs (and especially in the context
                >> of carfree city
                >> > planning), is that it would be an especially
                >> useful idea to offer,
                >> > either alongside or instead of bicycles, tricycles
                >> adapted to carry
                >> > freight or more than one passenger. "Pick-up"
                >> bikes in other words. If
                >> > build sufficiently wide, they would also be likely
                >> to deter theft,
                >> > since they would be less easy to wheel through a
                >> typical urban doorway.
                >> > In a carfree city, there would certainly be an
                >> especially high demand
                >> > for such bikes, whether for small group excursions
                >> or for shopping
                >> > trips. (I rather doubt that all deliveries would
                >> always be taken care
                >> > of by stores.) Furthermore, being tricycles, their
                >> greater stability
                >> > might attract users who would not be likely to use
                >> bikes.
                >> >
                >> > Chris Miller
                >> > Washington DC/Mount Rainier Maryland
                >> > USA

                >> carfree_cities@...
                >> > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                >> > Group address:
                >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
                >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

                >> carfree_cities@...
                >> Group address:
                >> http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Karen Sandness
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Just a picky little correction: a rickshaw (from the Japanese
                  "jinrikisha") is a two-wheeled passenger vehicle, sort of like a pony
                  cart, only with a person playing the role of pony. They were banned in
                  China under the Communist government, and they are extinct in Japan,
                  except as novelty rides in tourist spots or as a way for high-class
                  geisha to arrive at an appointment.

                  The discussion here is apparently about pedicabs, which are not used to
                  any great extent in Japan but which seemed to be the freight vehicle of
                  choice in China when I was there in 1990 and were even used as taxicabs
                  in some cities.

                  In transit,
                  Karen Sandness
                • Debra Efroymson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Not to prolong an unnecessary discussion but in
                    Bangladesh (a country of 140 million people), they
                    call the three-wheel model a rickshaw. Pedicab may
                    indeed be useful as an international term, but it is
                    meaningless here, where rickshaws are still a main
                    source of transport.
                    Anima

                    http://mail.yahoo.com