Re: [carfree_cities] Gadgetbahnen/Highway In Dust -rial Complex

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
      Ahoj Ken,

      Yes, since then I rode the bike, I rode the tram, I rode the shoes (walking), and... now I have nightmares about other things like the Airbus A380. When asked about their environmental impact, even an airline industry insider said that since they can be outfitted to seat about 800 people max., it could induce much feeder traffic (shorter distance flights) so the airlines can fill the seats up...

      Well, I woke up briefly out of the nightmare to have a constructive thought which was that this could also be railway traffic...

      ...and finally when I woke up I read that

      SWISS outlines further changes to business plan
      Citing low-cost competition and declining yields in Europe, Swiss
      intends to reduce its regional aircraft fleet by at least 13 aircraft
      (types yet to be decided) and replace certain of its existing flight
      schedules with codesharing agreements with partner airlines. The
      airline intends to strengthen its Zurich hub while reducing its own
      operations at Basel and substituting them with codesharing
      agreements.
      Meanwhile, some unprofitable routes operated from Geneva will, where
      appropriate, be transferred to codeshare partners.

      The airline is planning to eliminate between 800 and 1,000 positions
      through to Mid-2006 and with other cost reductions being sought,
      plans
      to achieve annual cost savings of CHF300 million from 2007 onwards.

      The major shareholders of Swiss have agreed on an embargo on the sale
      of their shares through to 31 August 2005, in order to support the
      capital base.
      [Jane's World Airlines - http://jwa.janes.com - 19 January 2005]

      Probably some of the competition is actually railways....

      Todd

      ------

      ....subliminal ads below? Just ignore 'em.....