Amtrak ("Small Number of People")

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2005
      > True, but just how much of your billion-dollar subsidy are
      > you willing to spend to on transportation for a small number
      > of people?

      =v= This is a classic chicken-and-egg issue, one that should
      be familiar not just from rail but from any mass transit. If
      a service is underfunded it loses ridership, then the "small
      number of people" are invoked as a reason to keep or increase
      the underfunding.

      =v= As I said in my last message, rail could take on a greater
      percentage of America's transportation if it were improved.
      This costs money. Look past private-sector-only ideology to
      see all the capital expenditure involved. Something that is
      now profitable probably hasn't always been. As with all ground
      transportation, public sector involvement is inherent in the
      process, right from the allocation of very long, very narrow
      sections of property ("private" or otherwise) for transport.

      =v= The ecological advantages alone are worth the capital
      expenditure.
      <_Jym_>