Amtrak (Leased Tracks)

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2005
      > Trains that operate over Union Pacific tracks tend to
      > frequently (or, all the time) run late. That's more
      > a problem with Union Pacific than anything else.

      =v= CSX tracks have also had safety issues.

      =v= This points to a greater, underlying problem, though:
      the fact that Amtrak must lease tracks from freight lines.
      Ultimately this means less reliability and a less pleasant
      ride (as the tracks' owners aren't making passenger comfort
      a priority). I'll note also that the system's fastest, most
      comfortable, and most-used routes are on tracks owned by
      Amtrak itself.

      =v= Rail could take on a greater percentage of America's
      transportation if it were improved. France and Japan have
      had rail lines put in, aligned with lasers, allowing high
      speeds and high comfort. The U.S. has nothing like that.
      <_Jym_>