Re: [carfree_cities] Canada is running its cities into the ground

  • adolfo restrepo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
      hi,

      I find much truth in the excerpt. I also find usefull
      some of the work of Gramci, Adorno, Habermas and
      policy analyst Frank Fisher in helping to understand
      the social trends.

      Although the technological contributions in favor of
      mass transit, dense urban structures and non-petro use
      are helpful, they are to certain extent marginal.
      Most of the arguments play into the prevailing
      consumerist discourse and in doing so often become
      self-defeating.

      All transit infrastructure ventures create social and
      economic winners and losers. Arguments in favor of
      rational transit policy are greatly strenghtened by
      being framed within a social cost and benifit context.
      It is also helpful to factor in ecological
      externalities into feasibility and compartive analysis
      with auto-transit. However, those who feel strongly
      about the rationality of non-auto transit perform the
      greatest service by taking advantage of one of the
      issues with the greatest saliency of the moment. That
      is America's involvement in the War in Iraq.

      Best regards,

      Gustavo Ortiz

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250