RE: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 1490

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2005
      What is Amtrak's farebox recovery? I know Toronto's is quite high, so I
      found this. I particularly like the parts about farebox recovery prior to
      1972:

      http://transit.toronto.on.ca/spare/0011.shtml

      The Toronto Transportation Commission has a farebox recovery of 81%, meaning
      that 81% of its operating costs are met by passengers paying their fares.
      That's the highest average in North America, and probably double the
      recovery met by its suburban counterparts. Even so, before the TTC was
      called upon to service Toronto's lower density development, it made an
      operating profit (before 1972), and in the 1950s, when the car wasn't nearly
      so dominant, it was able to meet ALL of its operating and capital
      obligations. The Yonge Subway of 1954 was built almost entirely out of the
      TTC's farebox revenues.

      -RL

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:03:47 -0000
      From: "John Bredin" <jbbredin@...>
      Subject: Amtrak

      I was surprised and disappointed at the anti-Amtrak stance expressed
      in Issues 36 and 37 of Carfree Times.

      Of particular importance in light of your advocacy of fareless
      transit is the fact that Amtrak's farebox recovery is much higher
      than most (if not all) North American transit agencies. To state
      that in layman's terms for other readers, a greater percentage of
      Amtrak's budget comes from passengers in the form of fares, and a
      smaller percentage from taxpayers, than almost any American urban or
      commuter transit system.