RE: [carfree_cities] Ranking US cities

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2000
      Mr.Crawford wrote:
      >I used to ride the electrics when I lived in the Town of Mount Royal.
      >They provided very rapid, convenient access to downtown Montreal.
      >It's reassuring to know that they're still running.

      Wow, I had no idea that you used to live in TMR (Town of Mount Royal). I
      live just 4 miles down the line in Ville St.Laurent. TMR is a great example
      of a railroad suburb, in that all the major streets lead to the train
      station, kind of like the letter X.
      From 1993 to 1995 the line between Montreal and Duex-Montangne was totally
      renovated for $300(CDN)million. New track, new catenary, new stations and
      new rolling stock. Before the track was 100lb joint rail, now it is 115lb
      welded rail with 65mph track conditions, the catenary is now at 25Kv A.C.
      instead of the 3Kv D.C. that it use to be, at stations we have new platforms
      and better lighting. The Boxcab type locomotives from the 1920's, the
      heavyweight coaches from the 1940's and even the EMU cars from the 1950's
      were all retired. Replaced by Bombardier MR-90s (some of the older equipment
      has found new homes on tourist lines and at various museums).
      Mr.Crawford and others, I think you will enjoy this awesome URL done by Marc
      Dufour http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/DeuxMontagnes/index.html . Here is an
      other URL, this time in English http://home.swipnet.se/ricard/tmr.html .
      Till later,Ron Dawson