transport and economics

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2004
      On the subject of transport and economics, I'm
      wondering if any country--or even NGO--is doing
      national economic calculations based on something
      other than the UN biased system of GNP, GDP, etc.
      which ignores both the environment and, for the most
      part, women (a tree is only valuable after it is cut
      down; war has economic value but peace does not;
      etc.).
      This reflection comes as I start reading Marilyn
      Waring's brilliant book, If Women Counted, published
      in 1988. I've heard (but not seen) of calculations of
      how much of people's income in the West is spent
      buying cars, which are mainly used to drive to work;
      it would be interesting to have some economic
      statistics that re-evaluated the wealth of cities or
      nations based on environmental measures, and looking
      into individual expenditure on transport as wasteful,
      not productive.
      Then we could show that it is cars that are
      stifling economic growth, not the other way around...
      Debra

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail