Public transit driving Montreal economy

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2004
      There is a very interesting story from the December 12 Montreal
      Gazette. Here is the URL:

      http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/story.html?
      id=54c77724-08e3-465c-9203-8bcc65473382

      Public transit system helps drive Montreal's economy, study says
      Network saved public $570 million; Board of Trade, Transit Corp. will
      lobby provincial and federal governments for cash

      ANNE SUTHERLAND

      The Gazette

      Sunday, December 12, 2004

      A strong public transit system is essential for the economic
      development of Montreal, a new Board of Trade study concludes.

      For every $100 of investment, the two levels of government get back
      $145 in the form of consumer taxes and salary taxes, the study says.

      According to the report, which examined data from 2003, Montrealers
      saved a collective $570 million by using public transit that year.
      These savings resulted in increased purchasing power and additional GST
      and PST revenue to the governments.

      Moving people efficiently from the residential sectors to the
      employment cores is also key.

      "Public transit is important for Montreal to be competitive in terms of
      attracting new industry," Board of Trade president Benoit Labonte said
      Friday. "Public transit reduces travel costs, pollution and road
      accidents. Public transit contributes to the success of our sporting
      and cultural events. Try to imagine the Grand Prix or the Jazz Festival
      without public transit," Labonte said.

      It is also a major contributor to Montreal's economy. In 2003, public
      transit provided almost 13,000 jobs and operating expenditures of $1.3
      billion.

      The Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal produced the study on the
      economic impact of the bus, metro and train system serving the Greater
      Montreal area in collaboration with SECOR consulting and with funding
      from the Agence metropolitain de transport and the Montreal Transit
      Corp..

      They will use the facts and figures to lobby the provincial and federal
      governments to pump more money into Montreal's underfunded transit
      system.

      "Good transit needs sources of revenue and more than 1.2 million people
      use the transit system every day," said Claude Dauphin, Montreal
      executive committee member in charge of transportation.

      "Eighty-seven per cent of transit fees are covered by the users and 13
      per cent by the government," Labonte said. "We're looking for a huge
      government investment from the two levels of government.

      "Public transit is clearly an investment and not an expense for
      governments."

      asutherland@...
      © The Gazette (Montreal) 2004

      Christopher Miller
      Mount Rainier, Maryland/Washington DC
    • Greg Steele
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
        Good article thank you. I forwarded to the Governer of Pennsylvania.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Miller