[Fwd: Collapse of the petroleum delusion / Rise of the DIY movement]

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Collapse of the petroleum delusion / Rise of the DIY movement
      Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:48:33 -0800 (PST)
      From: info@...
      To: culturechange@...

      Culture Change Letter #80

      Collapse of the petroleum delusion / Rise of the DIY movement

      by Jan Lundberg

      "This is what chaos looks like." I can see ahead glimpses of
      socioeconomic collapse and break-down of the political and even military
      order. Looting, starvation, die-off, and no one minding the store at
      pollution facilities, will probably be among the main results of the
      extreme energy shortage on tap for petroleum-guzzling nations. However,
      there's also a positive side to this historic development (which I will
      get to shortly).

      To see ahead, we have to understand what we are in the midst of. I
      pronounce this pre-collapse phase as the beginning of the grand nightmare.
      Mind you, there will be a dawn, but an unrecognizable one to myopic
      dwellers of consumer civilization.

      The grand nightmare, or whatever you want to call it, has been building
      steadily, with power-grabs, oppression, wars, poverty, social upheaval,
      environment degradation, species extinction, climate distortion, and -- as
      a consequence of this massive dose of reality -- an awakening in
      consciousness and resistance to be followed by social reconstruction. As
      to both the negative and positive aspects of this pivotal period of
      history, we have barely seen anything yet.

      An historic change in social relations, as a deep, cultural
      transformation, is foreseeable if humanity is to return to sustainability.
      Western civilization is largely the result of turning our backs on mutual
      aid and sustainability, pretending we can devour the world as if it is
      endless, for individual gain.

      Rather than promising you a green Utopia of technofixes and empty hope for
      a semblance of the status quo, I offer logic that leads from acknowledging
      resource depletion and associated strife that have begun irreversibly.
      Following today’s trends, signs and the laws of nature, we can anticipate
      the unraveling of the dominant, overextended system of corporatist order
      that modern folk presently take for granted as normal.

      Interestingly, work as we know it is on the chopping block as soon as
      petroleum supplies fail us -- as they will shortly, as global production
      peaks --: Working for bosses and institutions is largely unnecessary,
      just as slavery has no justification. Working for ourselves and the
      community are millennia-proven, dating from our early evolution. To adjust
      to the imminent post-petroleum future, physical work must return massively
      to today’s mechanized societies to mostly make up for the permanent
      depletion and virtual disappearance of cheap, abundant energy from
      petroleum.

      What people really need from employment is what the paycheck and money are
      supposed to buy: food, housing, clothing, etc. How to go about getting
      these and other essentials -- without the middle man or the boss or the
      taxman -- is the real revolution. When people get together to collect or
      grow food, barter, and help one another with housing, no one needs to be
      paid on the basis of abstract symbols of wealth – especially something
      like the dollar or Euro which are tied to the world oil market.

      But if you are a refrigerator manufacturer, you want from masses of people
      their wealth in the form of their pay from labor. As a manufacturer,
      capitalist or corporatist or government spender, you want money -- lots of
      it -- and not the kindness or help from people in general, for how can
      those “outmoded values” make you rich? So, one of the things you do is
      promote the myth, through the educational system and Hollywood
      entertainment and other propaganda, that "Progress" has dictated we all
      must have fancy appliances and unlimited energy so as to be comfortable
      and successful.

      Our industrial rulers have found it necessary to suppress alternative
      forms of refrigeration such as cold boxes (e.g., openings in buildings on
      the shady side where food is placed to keep cool, or
      underground/below-floor storage space to keep root crops and other
      perishables). Little does it matter to the manufacturing and financial
      elite that the mining, manufacture, shipping, use and disposal of
      energy-sucking gadgets such as home appliances, and all the packaging, add
      up to environmental catastrophe.

      DIY

      On November 13, 2004, People's Park in Berkeley, California was the scene
      of a Do It Yourself (DIY) Fest. Skill sharing, publications, and
      human-to-human networking were in abundance, along with music and a vegan
      lunch supplied by Food Not Bombs. The event was free, and it was easy to
      participate. Bartering and education occurred with reckless abandon -- a
      veritable descent into anarchy in contradiction of the holy free market's
      prerogative to convert all common space into privatized, fenced
      production-zones for private gain.

      There was Berkeley Liberation Radio (a pirate station), workshops on
      identifying local plants (cultivated and wild), as well as zine binding.
      Information from women on how to control their bodies, in this
      mass-merchandized, industrial-medicine society, and tracts on enlightened
      and liberated loving, abounded. There was no hooliganism or violence, nor
      police (in uniform, anyway). Hundreds of people came and exchanged
      information and saw old friends and made new ones. There was no boozing
      or pot smoking. After all, this was serious business!

      But there was something gravely wrong here. Subversive would be the way
      to describe it: there was almost no money changing hands! Oh no, shades
      of induced recession or depression! Of course, no mainstream media outlet
      is going to allow any coverage of the need for cutting back consumption,
      if this would see the global economy/house of cards fall -- even if it
      means we can build lasting peace and justice.

      Activists such as these DIYers, who don't have any illusions of the
      Bush/Kerry establishment's offering real solutions to the community's or
      the world's problems, are up on issues such as peak oil. They know the
      world cannot go on using unlimited petroleum. Many of these DIY folk use
      as little petroleum as possible, and are often car-free by choice. There
      was a table for teaching car-repair, but the idea is to fix the old car
      instead of buying a new one. As any sustainable-living activist knows,
      buying a new car sends unwarranted amounts of wealth to corporations
      outside the community.

      Many know that when enough people do not purchase big-ticket items,
      especially new cars, this will bring down the entire Waste Economy of the
      American Dream. Indeed, the collapse of the world’s foremost greed-based,
      sexist, racist Earth-unfriendly system, the U.S.A., is hoped for soon “as
      a way to begin managing our lives ourselves,” said one DIYer.

      If anything, the DIY Fest was subdued. Despite a goodly sharing of
      anarchist tracts, there was no protesting or sign-ups for "bringing the
      war home" in solidarity with the Iraqi Resistance. However, if the crowd
      had been polled, almost every woman, man and child would have said that
      the killing in Iraq for oil and "full spectrum dominance" must end
      immediately. Political freedom in the form of "ideally no government" is
      what most DIYers may agree on, but it all may come down to establishing
      local economies.

      There are examples of industrial economies suddenly having to meet the
      needs of millions of people after the loss of mega-trade and plentiful
      petroleum, where consumption of corporate goods has plummeted. Cuba had
      to deal with the loss of petroleum products from the disintegrating USSR,
      so she adopted bicycling and organic gardening on a massive scale.
      Argentina, after the financial collapse starting in the mid 1990s, became
      a model of local-based do-it-yourself innovation by 2002: worker
      assemblies and neighbors took community control over much of society,
      showing that people don't need "a job" as much as they need to provide for
      their own needs cooperatively -- which they proved in a multitude of ways.

      For the DIY movement, which is active in many cities and rural areas in
      the U.S and elsewhere, the incipient grand nightmare of massive
      socioeconomic collapse is a proving ground for survival skills and a
      prelude to a sustainable culture. The average wage slave does not yet
      have a clue, but s/he may have a sneaking suspicion that corruption in
      high places grows and grows and saps the strength of all people and our
      land, air and water we hold in common. Cancer and disease of the heart
      and lungs are automatic consequences of the quest for wealth represented
      by toxic material things we do not need.

      >From "Outer Space Blues":

      "Plutonium's kinda long
      To want to have around
      But there's some greedy cats
      Dying to get more fat

      Get on this tractor beam
      Driving your SUV
      What was your climate worth
      Stay if you love the Earth"

      [eco-rock by Depaver Jan (2000)]

      Are you ready? Or should we forget it and zoom off in our separate cars
      to shop at a big box store? I boycott those places and buy used 'n local
      as much as possible. I’m bicycling and trying to minimize use of
      plastics, for example. Join me in saying no to petroleum domination.
      See you on the streets and in the fields.

      - November 16, 2004, Oakland, California

      *****

      Did you miss any of the preceding 79 essays and reports by Jan Lundberg?
      See
      <http://www.culturechange.org/e-letter-archive.html>
      The above essay will appear on the website soon.

      If you believe Culture Change deserves exposure and support, please
      forward this email to your friends and visit
      <http://www.culturechange.org/funding.htm> for secure on-line donating.
      Checks or money orders can be mailed to:
      CULTURE CHANGE
      P.O. Box 4347, Arcata, California 95518 USA
      Telephone (215) 243-3144
      E-mail: info@...
      Website: <http://www.culturechange.org>

      To unsubscribe from our mailing list, please click here:

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not
      believe simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do
      not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
      Do not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy
      Scriptures. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of
      teachers, elders or wise men. Believe only after careful observations
      and analysis, and when you find that it agrees with reason and is
      conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and
      live up to it."

      The Buddha