In Berkeley, sitting outside eating pizza is now illegal

  • emccaughrin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
      A grand tradition might be coming to an end in Berkeley. Along
      Shattuck ave is the popular Cheeseboard cheese shop, bakery, and
      pizzeria. It is customary, on a nice sunny day, to sit
      outside on the traffic median with your friends sharing a pizza.

      Now, I realize that a traffic median might not sound
      like a great place to hang out, but this particular median
      is quite wide, with large trees and other landscaping,
      and the traffic is not too heavy.

      But all that might be coming to an end. The city
      has installed signs telling people to stay off the
      median, and the police dept. has let it be known
      that they are going to start ticketing people for
      doing something that is commonplace in more
      enlightened cities. We don't have too many ped
      areas left in CA, and it would be a shame to lose
      this one.

      Ironically, this upscale north Shattuck neighborhood
      generates significant tax revenue for the cash-strapped
      city. Killing off pedestrian activity is going to
      be a lose-lose proposition, which just goes to show
      that Berkeley city staff never, ever miss an opportunity
      to screw something up.
    • dearleb
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "emccaughrin"
        <emccaughrin@y...> wrote:

        > A grand tradition might be coming to an end in Berkeley. Along
        > Shattuck ave is the popular Cheeseboard cheese shop, bakery, and
        > pizzeria. It is customary, on a nice sunny day, to sit
        > outside on the traffic median with your friends sharing a pizza.
        >
        > Now, I realize that a traffic median might not sound
        > like a great place to hang out, but this particular median
        > is quite wide, with large trees and other landscaping,
        > and the traffic is not too heavy.
        >
        > But all that might be coming to an end. The city
        > has installed signs telling people to stay off the
        > median, and the police dept. has let it be known
        > that they are going to start ticketing people for
        > doing something that is commonplace in more
        > enlightened cities. We don't have too many ped
        > areas left in CA, and it would be a shame to lose
        > this one.
        >
        > Ironically, this upscale north Shattuck neighborhood
        > generates significant tax revenue for the cash-strapped
        > city. Killing off pedestrian activity is going to
        > be a lose-lose proposition, which just goes to show
        > that Berkeley city staff never, ever miss an opportunity
        > to screw something up.

        The dilemma here is that this very popular place, which serves
        absolutely the best pizza in the entire world (one flavor per day
        only)never puts more than about 3 tables on the sidewalk, when it
        needs 10-20. The inevitable spillover crowd looks for a place to go.
        Having been understandably booted out of the neighboring flower
        stall, people logically choose the traffic median. It is fairly
        pleasant as such places go, but still a bit dodgy. The city
        administration, probably worried about grisly accidents and
        liability, chooses to play scrooge rather than the more enlightened
        idea of blocking two of the four lanes, or even all four. The irony
        is that the city has set the traffic lights on this stretch to
        impede traffic flow to the maximum extent, making the street all but
        useless as a thoroughfare. It would be an ideal place to start an
        anti-car revolt, this being Berkeley, with pizza-eaters evicting the
        cars.