Voters Approved 23 Transit Measures Nationwide

  • vncook
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2004
      This article in my local paper summarized some of the U.S. national
      voting on (mass) transit:

      http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/election/article/0,1299,DRMN_36_3308959,00.html

      Here are the highlights:

      o Voters approved 23 transit initiatives nationwide.
      o 6 pro-transit measures were voted down.
      o 8 of the approved initiatives were in California.
      o Denver's FasTracks was the largest - $4.7B for transit.
      o San Diego voted in $2.7B for light rail.
      o Phoenix voted in $2.3B to add 27.7 miles of light rail to the
      30-mile line being constructed.
      o Transit has had a 80% success rate at the polls this year.
      o "This says the nation is playing catch-up with transit," (Bert)
      Melcher said. "I think it's a national trend."

      I think Americans are starting to wake up ...Vince Cook, Denver