Re: [carfree_cities] pedicab culture third world and first world

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
      It's a favorite tactic of the government here to
      attack the rickshaw, and the media of course covers
      what they say. We (Roads for People) have started
      holding events pointing the blame at the private car;
      this confuses journalists to no degree, but they are
      now covering our point of view! It should all come
      clear eventually...unless of course life works like US
      elections, and whoever spends the most, wins!
      Debra (from Dhaka)

      --- billt44hk <wmsatelfer@...> wrote:

      > From today's Bangladesh Independent:-
      >
      > '....The city dwellers passed literally a bitter day
      > yesterday, the
      > 22nd day of the Ramzan, with a 24-hour transport
      > shutdown adding to
      > their sufferings that normally are witnessed in the
      > last half of the
      > holy month. The countrywide strike was jointly
      > called by Bangladesh
      > Sarak Paribahan Sramik Federation and Bus Minibus
      > Owners and Workers
      > Parishad. The strike in force since morning, many
      > commuters not
      > aware of the programme were taken aback as they
      > found the roads
      > without the rushing buses, minibuses, and taxicabs.
      > Instead the city
      > roads were filled with swarms of rickshaws, pedalled
      > vans and CNG
      > scooters, ....
      > ....Many attributed the traffic snarl-up in the city
      > yesterday to
      > allowing the rickshaws to ply gleefully in the VIP
      > streets, usually
      > off-limits to manually driven vehicles...'
      >
      > Why did I I happen to be reading todays online
      > Bangladesh
      > Independent? - I had just heard Michael Palin in a
      > TV documentary
      > saying there are 600,000 pedicabs in Dhaka, and
      > wanted to find out
      > more about such a transport paradigm. Lo and behold
      > the day's
      > headline story talks about them being banned in the
      > posh streets of
      > the capital whilst yesterday a London Independent
      > story said that i
      > London's few dozen pedicabs are being threatened
      > with (at best)
      > imposition of licensing and at worst (if London taxi
      > drivers have
      > their way), a total ban.
      >
      > There's must be a moral here somewhere.
      >
      > Bill