pedicab culture third world and first world

  • billt44hk
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
      From today's Bangladesh Independent:-

      '....The city dwellers passed literally a bitter day yesterday, the
      22nd day of the Ramzan, with a 24-hour transport shutdown adding to
      their sufferings that normally are witnessed in the last half of the
      holy month. The countrywide strike was jointly called by Bangladesh
      Sarak Paribahan Sramik Federation and Bus Minibus Owners and Workers
      Parishad. The strike in force since morning, many commuters not
      aware of the programme were taken aback as they found the roads
      without the rushing buses, minibuses, and taxicabs. Instead the city
      roads were filled with swarms of rickshaws, pedalled vans and CNG
      scooters, ....
      ....Many attributed the traffic snarl-up in the city yesterday to
      allowing the rickshaws to ply gleefully in the VIP streets, usually
      off-limits to manually driven vehicles...'

      Why did I I happen to be reading todays online Bangladesh
      Independent? - I had just heard Michael Palin in a TV documentary
      saying there are 600,000 pedicabs in Dhaka, and wanted to find out
      more about such a transport paradigm. Lo and behold the day's
      headline story talks about them being banned in the posh streets of
      the capital whilst yesterday a London Independent story said that i
      London's few dozen pedicabs are being threatened with (at best)
      imposition of licensing and at worst (if London taxi drivers have
      their way), a total ban.

      There's must be a moral here somewhere.

      Bill
    • Debra Efroymson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
        It's a favorite tactic of the government here to
        attack the rickshaw, and the media of course covers
        what they say. We (Roads for People) have started
        holding events pointing the blame at the private car;
        this confuses journalists to no degree, but they are
        now covering our point of view! It should all come
        clear eventually...unless of course life works like US
        elections, and whoever spends the most, wins!
        Debra (from Dhaka)

        --- billt44hk <wmsatelfer@...> wrote:

        > From today's Bangladesh Independent:-
        >
        > '....The city dwellers passed literally a bitter day
        > yesterday, the
        > 22nd day of the Ramzan, with a 24-hour transport
        > shutdown adding to
        > their sufferings that normally are witnessed in the
        > last half of the
        > holy month. The countrywide strike was jointly
        > called by Bangladesh
        > Sarak Paribahan Sramik Federation and Bus Minibus
        > Owners and Workers
        > Parishad. The strike in force since morning, many
        > commuters not
        > aware of the programme were taken aback as they
        > found the roads
        > without the rushing buses, minibuses, and taxicabs.
        > Instead the city
        > roads were filled with swarms of rickshaws, pedalled
        > vans and CNG
        > scooters, ....
        > ....Many attributed the traffic snarl-up in the city
        > yesterday to
        > allowing the rickshaws to ply gleefully in the VIP
        > streets, usually
        > off-limits to manually driven vehicles...'
        >
        > Why did I I happen to be reading todays online
        > Bangladesh
        > Independent? - I had just heard Michael Palin in a
        > TV documentary
        > saying there are 600,000 pedicabs in Dhaka, and
        > wanted to find out
        > more about such a transport paradigm. Lo and behold
        > the day's
        > headline story talks about them being banned in the
        > posh streets of
        > the capital whilst yesterday a London Independent
        > story said that i
        > London's few dozen pedicabs are being threatened
        > with (at best)
        > imposition of licensing and at worst (if London taxi
        > drivers have
        > their way), a total ban.
        >
        > There's must be a moral here somewhere.
        >
        > Bill