Re: [carfree_cities] Transit Wins in AZ

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      Jeremy Hubble wrote:

      > "Robert J. Matter" wrote:
      >
      >>And in Chicago, "Activists in Chicago's East Rogers Park neighborhood
      >>won on an advisory referendum they hoped would thwart future development
      >>along the lakefront between Hollywood Avenue and Evanston. About 88
      >>percent of voters in 10 lakefront precincts in the 49th Ward said no to
      >>a Lake Shore Drive extension or housing and commercial structures."
      >>
      >>Source: Chicago Tribune
      >
      > Keep in mind that this ward also voted to end the war in Iraq. It is
      > nice to see community support for positive initiatives. However, the
      > cynic in me doubts the powers that be will give these votes much more
      > than token consideration.

      Oh I don't know. I don't think the 49th ward alderman or any others for
      that matter want to lose their cushy $80K/year jobs.

      88% is a *lot* of opposition. The residents can get a lot of allies on
      their side too, like Friends of the Park, Critical Mass, Greens, et al.

      Unlike south siders, those north side liberals are much more politically
      active and involved.

      -Bob Matter
      Lake County, Indiana, a blue sanctuary in a red state.
    • Todd J. Binkley
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
        >Other small bits of good news:
        >
        >In Santa Cruz "Measure J" failed. Measure J would have increased sales
        >tax to fund adding a lane in each direction to Highway 1 at a cost of
        >$363 million "to relieve congestion" and improve "emergency vehicle"
        >response times.

        A similar measure in Ventura County, California was resoundingly defeated.

        And the recent update of the Downtown (Ventura) Specific Plan includes
        serious consideration of a future rail station downtown.

        And Metrolink was recently extended.

        And a local organization has formed to push for real passenger rail service
        between here and Santa Barbara (where locals have fought off attempts to
        widen the 101 freeway for years):
        http://www.coastalrailnow.org/

        Cheers,

        Todd