re: Transit Wins in AZ

  • Ed Beighe
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      [sorry, in my previous post i mistakenly copied the whole digest, here is
      what i meant to post -- my apologies to the list]

      Patrick,

      Please allow me to ellucidate. What you are speaking of was known here as
      Proposition 400 -- which passed handily. It is more correctly termed a
      regional
      (the Maricopa county/Phoenix metro area) transportation plan -- only a small
      amount of the funds rasied (15%) goes toward light rail. As usual, most of
      the money goes to freeways (57%)... another 17% is for buses. The balance is
      for "street improvements". Put another way, a large majority of this GENERAL
      SALES TAX money is being used to build roads.

      It also merely *extends* the already underway funded and approved light rail
      further into the suburbs. (Had it been defeated, it would not have "stopped
      light rail in its tracks" as the anti-400 forces mendaciously implied)

      http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/special1/articles/0916Prop400QampA.html

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:23:48 -0500 (EST)
      From: Patrick J McDonough <patrick1@...>
      Subject: Transit Wins in AZ

      While many of us in America who worked hard for Kerry are bandaging some
      deep wounds this morning, a bit of good news in Arizona- the attempted
      defeat of a Light Rail funding stream failed by a large margin, and
      Arizona will proceed with a $2.3 billion investment in transit.

      Patrick
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        Jeremy Hubble wrote:

        > "Robert J. Matter" wrote:
        >
        >>And in Chicago, "Activists in Chicago's East Rogers Park neighborhood
        >>won on an advisory referendum they hoped would thwart future development
        >>along the lakefront between Hollywood Avenue and Evanston. About 88
        >>percent of voters in 10 lakefront precincts in the 49th Ward said no to
        >>a Lake Shore Drive extension or housing and commercial structures."
        >>
        >>Source: Chicago Tribune
        >
        > Keep in mind that this ward also voted to end the war in Iraq. It is
        > nice to see community support for positive initiatives. However, the
        > cynic in me doubts the powers that be will give these votes much more
        > than token consideration.

        Oh I don't know. I don't think the 49th ward alderman or any others for
        that matter want to lose their cushy $80K/year jobs.

        88% is a *lot* of opposition. The residents can get a lot of allies on
        their side too, like Friends of the Park, Critical Mass, Greens, et al.

        Unlike south siders, those north side liberals are much more politically
        active and involved.

        -Bob Matter
        Lake County, Indiana, a blue sanctuary in a red state.
      • Todd J. Binkley
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
          >Other small bits of good news:
          >
          >In Santa Cruz "Measure J" failed. Measure J would have increased sales
          >tax to fund adding a lane in each direction to Highway 1 at a cost of
          >$363 million "to relieve congestion" and improve "emergency vehicle"
          >response times.

          A similar measure in Ventura County, California was resoundingly defeated.

          And the recent update of the Downtown (Ventura) Specific Plan includes
          serious consideration of a future rail station downtown.

          And Metrolink was recently extended.

          And a local organization has formed to push for real passenger rail service
          between here and Santa Barbara (where locals have fought off attempts to
          widen the 101 freeway for years):
          http://www.coastalrailnow.org/

          Cheers,

          Todd