Denver approves tax for 119-mail rail buildout

  • vncook
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
      It sounds like we need some good news here after the elections.
      Denver area voters approved a .4 cents sales tax increase last night
      to fund an added 119 miles of light rail and heavy commuter rail to be
      built in the metro area over the next 10 years or so. This also funds
      19 news miles of bus rapid transit with dedicated lanes and specially
      designed bus exits and/or median bus stations. They voted this in by
      a nice margin.

      You can read about it here:
      http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/election/article/0,1299,DRMN_36_3301207,00.html

      I've monitored this issue closely (though not directly involved) and
      it appears to me like voters wanted this for several reasons:

      1. Light rail and bus ridership has seen healthy increases lately.
      2. The T-Rex project (highway and rail) has been going very well over
      the last few years.
      3. Denver was recently listed in the top 5 worst traffic-congested
      cities in the U.S.
      4. People want Denver to be a great city (I saw that quoted a lot).
      5. Denver's mayor as well as 30 mayors from surronding cities
      supported this measure.
      6. Coloradans are particularly sensitive to air pollution and it's
      impact on our view of the mountains.

      Vince Cook
      Denver Area Resident
    • Patrick J McDonough
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
        While many of us in America who worked hard for Kerry are bandaging some
        deep wounds this morning, a bit of good news in Arizona- the attempted
        defeat of a Light Rail funding stream failed by a large margin, and
        Arizona will proceed with a $2.3 billion investment in transit.

        Patrick
      • Robert J. Matter
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
          Patrick J McDonough wrote:

          > While many of us in America who worked hard for Kerry are bandaging some
          > deep wounds this morning, a bit of good news in Arizona- the attempted
          > defeat of a Light Rail funding stream failed by a large margin, and
          > Arizona will proceed with a $2.3 billion investment in transit.
          >
          > Patrick

          Other small bits of good news:

          In Santa Cruz "Measure J" failed. Measure J would have increased sales
          tax to fund adding a lane in each direction to Highway 1 at a cost of
          $363 million "to relieve congestion" and improve "emergency vehicle"
          response times.

          See
          http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2004/November/03/local/stories/01local.htm

          And in Chicago, "Activists in Chicago's East Rogers Park neighborhood
          won on an advisory referendum they hoped would thwart future development
          along the lakefront between Hollywood Avenue and Evanston. About 88
          percent of voters in 10 lakefront precincts in the 49th Ward said no to
          a Lake Shore Drive extension or housing and commercial structures."

          Source: Chicago Tribune

          -Bob Matter
          Hammond, Indiana, a blue sanctuary in a red state.
        • Jeremy Hubble
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            "Robert J. Matter" wrote:
            > And in Chicago, "Activists in Chicago's East Rogers Park neighborhood
            > won on an advisory referendum they hoped would thwart future development
            > along the lakefront between Hollywood Avenue and Evanston. About 88
            > percent of voters in 10 lakefront precincts in the 49th Ward said no to
            > a Lake Shore Drive extension or housing and commercial structures."
            >
            > Source: Chicago Tribune
            Keep in mind that this ward also voted to end the war in Iraq. It is
            nice to see community support for positive initiatives. However, the
            cynic in me doubts the powers that be will give these votes much more
            than token consideration.

            Also, with regards to the Arizona vote, wasn't it a referendum on the
            sales tax that is used for both transit AND roads? It's still good
            news, as far as it continues a source for transit funds. However, with
            the pot also available for roads, 'highway robbery' could still take
            place.

            Though, continuing with the contrarian tone, there may be something to
            look forward to in the Bush, Inc. sweep of the U.S. presidency and
            congress. If oil prices remain high and the atrocities in Iraq
            continue, then the Republicans will be forced to adapt themselves. They
            may even begin to see the great harm of car dependence and move closer
            to embracing sustainable transportation.
          • Ed Beighe
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
              From: "CEB" <cyklopraha@...>
              2. On the Train to the Future! THE MOVIE!
              From: "CEB" <cyklopraha@...>
              3. Floridians nix trains
              From: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
              4. Re: Florida's high speed rail ballot (WAS "Vote for Kerry, not for
              me")
              From: "Allan Dunlop -- CyclingSolutions.ca" <mail@...>
              5. RE: On the Train to the Future! THE MOVIE!
              From: "Andrew Dawson" <m82a1_dawson@...>
              6. Denver approves tax for 119-mail rail buildout
              From: "vncook" <invincerator@...>
              7. Transit Wins in AZ
              From: Patrick J McDonough <patrick1@...>
              8. FW: [T_2000] Fw: [CDN-Rys] Lets Clear Tracks For Commuters
              From: "Andrew Dawson" <m82a1_dawson@...>
              9. Re: Transit Wins in AZ
              From: "Robert J. Matter" <rjmatter@...>

              Message: 1
              Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:12:28 +0100
              From: "CEB" <cyklopraha@...>
              Subject: All Bush, no train

              http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/10081817.htm?1c

              Passed: Amendment 6 repeals the constitutional requirement to build a bullet
              train, the first leg of which would run from Tampa to Orlando with a second
              phase slated to run to Miami. Repeal opponents included Lakeland businessman
              C.C. ''Doc'' Dockery, who financed the 2000 bullet train initiative, and
              Disney, which was slated to house one of the first train terminals.

              > Od: "Andrew Dawson" <m82a1_dawson@...>
              > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
              > Datum: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:28:27 +0000
              > Pøedmìt: [carfree_cities] RE: Vote for Kerry, not for me
              >

              > J.H. Crawford wrote:
              > >Vote for Kerry, not for me
              >
              > I wonder how things will go in Florida with their high speed rail ballot?
              >
              > Till later, Andrew Dawson

              > Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet
              has
              > to offer.

              > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the
              > first two months FREE*.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message: 2
              Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:40:55 +0100
              From: "CEB" <cyklopraha@...>
              Subject: On the Train to the Future! THE MOVIE!

              Hi, everyone, dont worry, there is a place we can escape to, if you have a
              fairly fast internet connection or 10 dollars or Euros for a ticket. I
              really recommend this!

              http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/media_trailer.html

              Vintage high speed trains, dancing, personal rapid transit, dirigibles,
              dancing, "slide-based mobility".... and more dancing + a carfree city (I
              think)...and more....

              Todd

              caveat: One of main sponsors is Kraft

              Message: 3
              Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:14:41 -0500
              From: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
              Subject: Floridians nix trains

              This from CBC news this morning:

              http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2004/11/03/
              bombardier_041103.html

              Florida voters reject Bombardier-led bullet train
              Last Updated Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:55:41 EST

              ORLANDO, FLA. - Florida voters on Tuesday derailed a proposed
              multibillion dollar high-speed rail network that was to be built by a
              consortium led by Bombardier.

              . INDEPTH: U.S. Election 2004

              ----------

              With 7,046 out of 7,241 precincts reporting, more than 63 per cent of
              votes cast were against the rail network, which initially won voter
              approval in 2000.

              Opponents of the construction project decried the proposed price tag.
              The initial Tampa to Orlando leg of the network was supposed to cost
              more than $2.3 billion US.

              The rail network was to eventually extend to Miami.

              Construction of the rail link has not begun, but the initial leg had
              been mapped out.

              Bombardier's partners included California engineering company Fluor
              Corp. and Virgin Group PLC of Britain. The Bombardier-led consortium
              was tapped in November to run the project.

              A Bombardier spokesperson put the Montreal-based company's share of
              the project at about $1.3 billion US to provide the trains and maintain
              them for 30 years.

              Florida Gov. Jeb Bush opposed the train, having said the money would
              be better spent on regional transportation.

              "It's too high a price to pay for something that's, well, romantic, I
              guess," Bush said.

              Proponents of the rail network said Florida's future growth will force
              the state to develop alternatives to building more highways.

              Written by CBC News Online staff

              Chris Miller
              Washington DC

              Message: 4

              I wonder how things will go in Florida with their high speed rail ballot?

              Till later, Andrew Dawson

              to offer.
              http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
              p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
              first two months FREE*.

              Message: 5
              Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:58:55 +0000
              From: "Andrew Dawson" <m82a1_dawson@...>
              Subject: RE: On the Train to the Future! THE MOVIE!

              Todd wrote:
              >Hi, everyone, don't worry, there is a place we can escape to, if you have a
              >fairly fast internet connection or 10 dollars or Euros for a ticket. I
              >really recommend this!
              >
              >http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/media_trailer.html
              >
              >Vintage high speed trains, dancing, personal rapid transit, dirigibles,
              >dancing, "slide-based mobility".... and more dancing + a carfree city (I
              >think)...and more....

              Thanks Todd for that film clip. I liked what Tom Hanks said at the end "One
              thing about trains. It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is
              deciding to get on." I have to tell that one to friend Jean who drives the
              commuter train.

              Also when it comes to deciding in general, given recent events. Choice,
              options and freedom seem to be in a decline these days. Better luck next
              time, if we're even allowed a next time.

              Till later, Andrew Dawson

              to offer.
              first two months FREE*.

              Message: 6
              Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:04:37 -0000
              From: "vncook" <invincerator@...>
              Subject: Denver approves tax for 119-mail rail buildout

[...]

              Please allow me to ellucidate. What you are speaking of is was known here as
              Proposition 400 -- which passed handily. It is more correctly a regional
              (the Maricopa county/Phoenix metro area) transportation plan -- only a small
              amount of the funds rasied (15%) goes toward light rail. As usual, most of
              the money goes to freeways (57%)... another 17% is for buses. The balance is
              for "street improvements". Put another way, a large majority of this GENERAL
              SALES TAX money is being used to build roads.

              It also merely *extends* the already underway funded and approved light rail
              further into the suburbs. (Had it been defeated, it would not have "stopped
              light rail in its tracks" as the anti-400 forces mendaciously asserted)

              http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/special1/articles/0916Prop400QampA.html

              Message: 7

              Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:15:42 +0000
              From: "Andrew Dawson" <m82a1_dawson@...>
              Subject: FW: [T_2000] Fw: [CDN-Rys] Lets Clear Tracks For Commuters

              This may be of interest to the Canadian members of the carfree cities list.
              Andrew

              SmartScreen Technology.
              first two months FREE*.

              Message: 9
              Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:05:24 -0600
              From: "Robert J. Matter" <rjmatter@...>
              Subject: Re: Transit Wins in AZ

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
                [sorry, in my previous post i mistakenly copied the whole digest, here is
                what i meant to post -- my apologies to the list]

                Patrick,

                Please allow me to ellucidate. What you are speaking of was known here as
                Proposition 400 -- which passed handily. It is more correctly termed a
                regional
                (the Maricopa county/Phoenix metro area) transportation plan -- only a small
                amount of the funds rasied (15%) goes toward light rail. As usual, most of
                the money goes to freeways (57%)... another 17% is for buses. The balance is
                for "street improvements". Put another way, a large majority of this GENERAL
                SALES TAX money is being used to build roads.

                It also merely *extends* the already underway funded and approved light rail
                further into the suburbs. (Had it been defeated, it would not have "stopped
                light rail in its tracks" as the anti-400 forces mendaciously implied)

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Jeremy Hubble wrote:

                  > "Robert J. Matter" wrote:
                  >
                  >>And in Chicago, "Activists in Chicago's East Rogers Park neighborhood
                  >>won on an advisory referendum they hoped would thwart future development
                  >>along the lakefront between Hollywood Avenue and Evanston. About 88
                  >>percent of voters in 10 lakefront precincts in the 49th Ward said no to
                  >>a Lake Shore Drive extension or housing and commercial structures."
                  >>
                  >>Source: Chicago Tribune
                  >
                  > Keep in mind that this ward also voted to end the war in Iraq. It is
                  > nice to see community support for positive initiatives. However, the
                  > cynic in me doubts the powers that be will give these votes much more
                  > than token consideration.

                  Oh I don't know. I don't think the 49th ward alderman or any others for
                  that matter want to lose their cushy $80K/year jobs.

                  88% is a *lot* of opposition. The residents can get a lot of allies on
                  their side too, like Friends of the Park, Critical Mass, Greens, et al.

                  Unlike south siders, those north side liberals are much more politically
                  active and involved.

                  -Bob Matter
                  Lake County, Indiana, a blue sanctuary in a red state.
                • Todd J. Binkley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                    >Other small bits of good news:
                    >
                    >In Santa Cruz "Measure J" failed. Measure J would have increased sales
                    >tax to fund adding a lane in each direction to Highway 1 at a cost of
                    >$363 million "to relieve congestion" and improve "emergency vehicle"
                    >response times.

                    A similar measure in Ventura County, California was resoundingly defeated.

                    And the recent update of the Downtown (Ventura) Specific Plan includes
                    serious consideration of a future rail station downtown.

                    And Metrolink was recently extended.

                    And a local organization has formed to push for real passenger rail service
                    between here and Santa Barbara (where locals have fought off attempts to
                    widen the 101 freeway for years):
                    http://www.coastalrailnow.org/

                    Cheers,

                    Todd