Re: [carfree_cities] Illichville-Questions about Trains & Energy

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2004
      Hi all. Actually I was thinking of three things
      (sorry, my message was really badly written):
      1. Increasing the maximum walking distance to train
      stations (perhaps 15 minutes); this allows for fewer
      train stops more widely spaced, which would be more
      efficient;
      2. If exercise (walking, cycling, etc.) isn't built
      into people's daily routines (used as transport) we'll
      never deal effectively with the problem of physical
      inactivity, which is something to which governments
      are now paying attention and thus could be an
      effective entry for this program (and after all, much
      resistance to physical activity should be broken when
      it becomes pleasant);
      3. Why not address unemployment while we're at it,
      and incorporate pedicabs? A more fun/livable option
      for college students and others than being a
      waitperson, etc.
      Debra

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail