Illustrations of urban rural change by Jorg Muller & Heinz Ledergerber

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hi

      Does anyone know about a sequence of pictures depicting two themes - the
      changing city and the changing countryside?

      Prints of them have been hanging in the corridors of our building - The
      School of Public Policy at Birmingham University - since the late 1970s.

      I frequently show them to my students as a preamble to a day looking at
      transport issues but I haven't been able to find any versions on the web
      though two books about urban and rural change are available for about £90
      each at Amazon - which makes them very dear I know, but they are superb
      illustrations of the havoc wreaked on the environment by the arrival and
      spread of tarmac and the surrender of urban public spaces to motorised
      traffic.

      Jörg Müller & Heinz Ledergerber ISBN 3-7941-1499-X
      Publishers: 1976 Sauerländer AG, Aarau/Switzerland

      Here's the only example I could find:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/068950084X/revi
      ews/026-7496631-7338025

      The Changing City by Jorg Muller 1 Used & New from £88.25 Paperback -
      (January 1, 1977) Reading level: Ages 9-12 Synopsis: Based on a study of
      large Swiss and German cities but applicable to the United States, eight
      full-color, fold-out pictures portraying the same section of a city between
      1953 and 1976 graphically detail the process of urban decay.

      The pictures we've got on display are certainly not just for 9-12 year olds!

      Best wishes

      Simon