Superb Article by Wendell Berry

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2004
      A quote:

      > Can we actually suppose that we are wasting, polluting, and making ugly this beautiful land for the sake of patriotism and the love of God? Perhaps some of us would like to think so, but in fact this destruction is taking place because we have allowed ourselves to believe, and to live, a mated pair of economic lies: that nothing has a value that is not assigned to it by the market; and that the economic life of our communities can safely be handed over to the great corporations.
      > So long a complaint accumulates a debt to hope, and I would like to end with hope. To do so I need only repeat something I said at the beginning: Our destructiveness has not been, and it is not, inevitable. People who use that excuse are morally incompetent, they are cowardly, and they are lazy.

      And a link:

      <http://www.oriononline.org/pages/om/04-6om/Berry.html>

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "What we need is balance. Streets are not just arteries for the movement
      of cars; they are part of a network of spaces in the public domain that
      serve as access to the properties in the private domain and that also
      serve social, economic and political functions."

      Wade Eide, Architect