Theory, Culture & Society - Automobilities issue

  • Andie Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      In the spirit of 'know thy enemy'. Papers all available online.

      http://tcs.sagepub.com/content/vol21/issue4-5/?etoc
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear Andie

        Indeed "pacified by rapid movement without arousal ....". These academics
        have been there, seen that, got the T-shirt - or so I think from a fleeting
        scan. Thanks for posting these. Fabulous!

        Take Featherstone: "Yet the experience of driving cannot be held as a
        neutral factor and as Edensor (2004) argues, driving slowly in a car with
        the windows wound down, through an Indian street full of activity,
        sensations and distractions, is a very different autoscape from a Western
        urban motorway with its underpasses and flyovers designed to minimize
        aesthetic interruptions. The experience of driving through the city, Richard
        Sennett (1994: 15) remarks is symptomatic of how urban space has become Œa
        mere function of motion¹, encouraging a Œtactile sterility¹ in which the
        body is Œpacified¹ by rapid movement without arousal (cited in Edensor,
        2004). One thinks here of the dominance of the car in certain cities such as
        Los Angeles, where nearly half the land amounts to car-only environments
        (Urry, 2000: 193). The urban motorway or freeway, as a featureless space to
        pass through on the way to somewhere else, could be taken to suggest that
        driving in the city is a much impoverished experience when compared to
        walking (for a critique of this position and the work of de Certeau see
        Nigel Thrift [2004]/this issue)."

        Simon