October Issue of The New Colonist

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      The October issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
      http://www.newcolonist.com!

      This month's features:

      * Asphalt Rebellion
      Jay Walljasper examines the state of citizen demand for traffic
      calming and its successes....
      * A Healthy Profit
      Richard Risemberg wonders what to do when an arm costs an arm and
      a leg to fix....
      * The Downtowners
      Eric Miller discusses downtown living and the need for
      residential accommodation in city centers if they are to live....
      * Book Review
      Eric Miller reviews The City Parent Handbook
      * Concierge
      Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
      weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings,
      classifieds, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!
      * Vox Civitatis
      Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
      assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
      state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

      And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
      in our more than 500-article Archive!
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "What we need is balance. Streets are not just arteries for the movement
      of cars; they are part of a network of spaces in the public domain that
      serve as access to the properties in the private domain and that also
      serve social, economic and political functions."

      Wade Eide, Architect