Re: [carfree_cities] Radio Free Europe (Prague) - Cities And Towns In Many Countries Mark 'Car-Free' Day

  • Korn, Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2004
      Happy World Car-Free Day! Although you wouldn't know anything like that was going on by looking around Chicago today. We're as car-crazy as ever. They even had a big Cadillac marketing exhibit with two cars parked on the sidewalk outside my office today. (Part of the automobile industry's effort to put advertising in front of our eyeballs 24/7. I'm sure they'd paint their logos on the insides of my eyelids if they could.)

      Anyway, speaking of Brasil, I don't know much about that country personally either, but a while ago I saw a show (an episode of "Understanding", on the Science Channel on American cable) about the city of Brasilia, which was purposely designed in the 1950s as a kind of automobile utopia, to maximize the convenience of the personal automobile. The city is full of multi-lane, restricted-access freeways, with very few traffic signals or overpasses. Of course Brasilia has the highest rate of pedestrian fatalities in the world.

      Dan
      Chicago
      www.dankorn.com