Early Car Dealer & California History

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2004
      A quote:

      > Anthony, an active Republican, took a strong pro-highway stance throughout the late 1920s and into the '30s, even though the country had slipped into the Depression. Early in the decade, he told the San Francisco Motor Car Dealers Association, "This bay must be bridged if people are to buy our cars, for they must have someplace to drive them. It's up to us to sell San Francisco on the idea." He was present at the opening of both the San Francisco Bay and Golden Gate bridges a few years later

      And a link:

      http://ladowntownnews.com/articles/2004/09/13/news/news04.txt

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "What we need is balance. Streets are not just arteries for the movement
      of cars; they are part of a network of spaces in the public domain that
      serve as access to the properties in the private domain and that also
      serve social, economic and political functions."

      Wade Eide, Architect