RE: [carfree_cities] Check out this page on NOLA.com

  • Daryl Oster
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15 8:53 PM

      Evacuated Tube Transport (ETT) (see intro below) is a far better tool for
      evacuation (no pun intended) than cars and buss, trains, or planes because
      ETT is:

      * Lower cost (ETT is 1/4 the cost of a 4 lane highway, 1/10 the cost of a
      train track).

      * The capacity of one ETT tube with a 350mph design speed (172,000 p/hour)
      is the same as 10 lanes of freeway, or 6 rail lines.

      * The speed of ETT is consistent regardless of demand.

      * Unlike cars and planes, ETT operates in any weather conditions without
      slowing (like 10 inches/hour rain).

      * Unlike rail, ETT capacity is distributed over as many as several hundred
      off-line stations.

      * Car sized ETT vehicles operate on demand, not on a schedule.

      * Compared with trains, ETT power and energy needs are less than 1/50th as
      much per passenger-mile.

      * ETT can use any form of renewable energy, like wind power.

      * ETT is achievable with highly proven off-the-shelf components and
      technologies.

      Daryl Oster
      (c) 2004  all rights reserved.  ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
      e-tube, e-tubes, and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service marks
      of et3.com Inc.  For licensing information contact:    et3@... ,
      www.et3.com  POB 1423, Crystal River FL 34423-1423  (352)257-1310

      ETT Introduction
      Evacuated Tube Transport (ETT) is a new kind of transportation system that
      requires less than two percent of the energy of cars or planes; it is also
      much safer and faster. Any individual or company may profit by
      participating in the plan to implement ETT.

      The earth has been traveling around the sun at 67,000 miles per hour longer
      than recorded history; yet no energy is used because there is no friction in
      space. It is impractical to travel in orbit; so ETT works by creating space
      like travel conditions on the ground. Air is permanently removed from 2
      tubes (one for each direction) along a travel route; so travel takes place
      without air resistance. Pressurized passenger capsules (like a 6 person biz
      jet cabin), travel in the tubes on nearly frictionless Maglev. Airlocks
      allow access without admitting air to the tubes. Linear electric motors
      accelerate the capsules. During most of the trip the capsules coast; using
      no power. When the capsules brake, linear generators recover most of the
      electrical energy used to accelerate the capsules.

      Riding ETT will be like traveling in a silent airplane in a semi-reclined
      position, perhaps watching a movie. The ride will be smoother than any
      luxury car or airplane, and not in chaotic traffic conditions or 6 miles
      above the ground. Depending on distance traveled ETT speed can easily be up
      to 350 mph for trips between neighborhoods or towns, to 4,000 mph for
      international travel that would take you from DC to Beijing in 2 hours at
      about a tenth the cost of airfare. "Free" travel could be possible if you
      watch ads en route.

      ETT can be networked as are interstate highways, SUV sized capsules will be
      able to travel non-stop anywhere in the ETT network. Unlike trains, the ETT
      system uses passive switching that does not limit the frequency of vehicles
      in the tubes. You wouldn’t have to waste time to get to an airport –
      several smaller terminals can be disbursed where they are needed. Unlike
      cars and planes, automated ETT virtually eliminates the chances of
      collision. Instead of waiting for a scheduled train or plane the ETT
      capsules wait for passengers. ETT runs continuously in any weather, so you
      travel whenever you want to; without consulting the weather report. The
      MoPod™ is a hybrid vehicle small enough to fit inside of an ETT capsule, yet
      able to carry 2 people on local streets and highways while getting 200mpg.
      Drive you personal MoPod™ from your house to the ETT station in a few
      minutes. Drive the MoPod™ directly into an ETT capsule to make a 100 mile
      commute in less than a half hour.

      Constructing a highway or railroad causes twenty times more environmental
      damage as building ETT. ETT needs much less materials to support 1200lb
      vehicles, than are required to support 200ton trains. ETT is compatible
      with mountains, and wetlands, and will not contribute to storm runoff like
      pavement. Wildlife can migrate unobstructed and will never be killed by
      ETT. The lifespan is long, and per tube capacity is high (can exceed 80
      lanes of traffic), so waste and cost is low. ETT can use renewable,
      non-polluting energy like wind, or hydroelectric – so ETT is sustainable
      without reliance on fossil fuels or hydrogen that is costly and wasteful to
      produce.

      Using “serial” processes, it took cars 14 years to supersede horses. Now,
      people demand faster change; so many companies in electronics and software
      industries collaborate “in parallel” to bring technologies more complex than
      ETT to market in months instead of years. These "parallel" methods can be
      used for ETT implementation. Many companies have already spent billions
      developing ETT; although they may not be aware of it yet! For instance,
      hundreds of companies worldwide make and install pipelines (tubes), vacuum
      pumps, and the electronics to operate them. Everything exists to start
      building ETT now, mostly with off-the-shelf parts.

      ETT development can take place using "open source" or “chaordic” methods but
      with ownership incentive. The ETT Patent is assigned to et3.com Inc. (et3
      stands for Evacuated Tube Transport Technologies), an open cooperative
      collaboration. An inclusive license agreement offers incentives to
      companies or individuals capable of producing parts, or providing services,
      required for ETT implementation. You or your company can collaborate in
      parallel with others, using the et3.com websites to plan and build ETT
      systems using “off-the-shelf” materials, assets, parts, technologies,
      skills, and production capacities.

      ETT infrastructure cost is less than 10% of the cost of high-speed rail
      (HSR). Unlike HSR, ETT can pay it's own way through user fees that are
      lower cost than buss fare. Because of opportunity for profitable operation,
      ETT may be built without taxation. A simple 350mph ETT system will cost a
      quarter the amount of an interstate highway. The capacity will be 8 times
      greater. ETT is the only sustainable transportation technology that offers
      a global improvement in lifestyle, and is currently achievable. We must act
      now, energy experts believe global oil production will peak within 10 years,
      and reliance on import oil is the nation's biggest security risk.