BBC news: Battle over Beijing

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2004
      Here's a BBC News story about what the future may hold for Beijing and
      its traditional urban fabric. It reminds me of discussions about
      Shanghai several years ago...

      A quote:

      "Some advocate modernisation - with fancy-looking skyscrapers and wide
      streets. Others argue that the city is of such stunning historical
      value, it must keep its ancient appearance.

      Much of this ancient fabric is preserved in the city's diminishing
      alleys, which are known as "hutong" in Mandarin. On a sunny afternoon
      shortly before Beijing's mayor received the Olympic flag at the closing
      ceremony in Athens, I started an exploration of ancient Beijing."

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/3657008.stm

      Chris Miller
      Washington DC, USA