Re: [carfree_cities] Re: We're All for Mass Transit -- in Theory

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
      Matt Hohmeister wrote:

      > Is there anyone out there who'd like to debunk the myth that mass transit sends taxes
      > through the roof, but 14-lane freeways just come out of thin air and cost no money? This
      > seems to be the popular perception.

      Hey, I'm working on it! Get people to read http://www.newcolonist.com
      and http://www.living-room.org (particularly the former) where I hammer
      on this theme repeatedly.

      I also like to point out that freeways take land *off* the tax rolls,
      and so cause a double loss, apart from their construction and operating
      costs. And that they lower property values near them (thus reducing
      county income), whereas transit stations (at least rail transit
      stations) *increase* commerce & property values, and so increase tax
      rolls (or, if you're Republican, allow you to lower tax rates everywhere).

      You could also write a letter to the editor every chance you get--as
      long as your rant refers to a recent article that touches on the
      subject. They often do print them.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "It's my duty to fight those who have chosen to belong to the party of
      death, those who say they receive their orders from God somewhere and
      believe they have a duty to set the world on fire to achieve their own
      salvation, whether they are in the warrens of Iraq, or in the White
      House. I prefer to be a card-carrying member of the party of life."

      Wole Soyinka