Re: We're All for Mass Transit -- in Theory

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
      Is there anyone out there who'd like to debunk the myth that mass transit sends taxes
      through the roof, but 14-lane freeways just come out of thin air and cost no money? This
      seems to be the popular perception.

      *snip*
      We drive in California, preferably alone. That's what you and I do. And if
      we liked taxes, we wouldn't have voted for the current governor, who
      expressed his feelings about a car tax increase by dropping a wrecking ball
      on an automobile.
      *snip*
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
        >Is there anyone out there who'd like to debunk the myth that mass transit
        >sends taxes
        >through the roof, but 14-lane freeways just come out of thin air and cost no
        >money? This
        >seems to be the popular perception.

        As always, start with VTPI in Victoria for this kind of data.

        -- ### --

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
          Matt Hohmeister wrote:

          > Is there anyone out there who'd like to debunk the myth that mass transit sends taxes
          > through the roof, but 14-lane freeways just come out of thin air and cost no money? This
          > seems to be the popular perception.

          Hey, I'm working on it! Get people to read http://www.newcolonist.com
          and http://www.living-room.org (particularly the former) where I hammer
          on this theme repeatedly.

          I also like to point out that freeways take land *off* the tax rolls,
          and so cause a double loss, apart from their construction and operating
          costs. And that they lower property values near them (thus reducing
          county income), whereas transit stations (at least rail transit
          stations) *increase* commerce & property values, and so increase tax
          rolls (or, if you're Republican, allow you to lower tax rates everywhere).

          You could also write a letter to the editor every chance you get--as
          long as your rant refers to a recent article that touches on the
          subject. They often do print them.

          Richard
          http://www.living-room.org
          http://www.newcolonist.com

          "It's my duty to fight those who have chosen to belong to the party of
          death, those who say they receive their orders from God somewhere and
          believe they have a duty to set the world on fire to achieve their own
          salvation, whether they are in the warrens of Iraq, or in the White
          House. I prefer to be a card-carrying member of the party of life."

          Wole Soyinka