wasted hours due to traffic congestion

  • Jeremy Hubble
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2004
      this popped up on Yahoo! - The huge number of hours that are wasted in
      traffic by Americans.
      I'm guessing by time lost they refer to (expected travel time - actual
      travel time). I'm also guessing further that they don't include
      excessive pedestrian waiting times at traffic signals, circuitous routes
      caused by freeways and other construction, and other hazards. And
      furthermore, I bet they've left out hours spent traveling because the
      nearest grocery store was 5 miles away, or because people found cheap
      houses on big lots 50 miles away from their workplace.

      However, it is quite interesting that one of their quotes was that after
      talking about building roads, improving signal timing and other little
      things, they noted the best way to reduce congestion was transit.

      Would they dare mention that a carfree city would have no automobile
      congestion problems?

      Yahoo:
      http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040907/ap_on_re_us/traffic_jams_1

      Study mentioned: