Report from Manhattan: Polie harassment of Critical Mass protestors

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      An eyewitness account of NYPD officers creating disorder and supressing
      legal activities....

      A quote:

      "On Saturday outside Madison Square Garden, Police Commissioner Ray
      Kelly said 'They chose to drive 5,000 bicycles through midtown
      Manhattan. Obviously the government had to respond in some fashion.'
      When people drive many more than 5,000 cars down Manhattan streets
      everyday causing wrecks, injuries, and air pollution, thats not a
      problem? Why didn't the 'government respond in this manner' to any of
      the previous rides that drew more than a thousand cyclists?"

      And a link:

      http://www.culturechange.org/bicycling.htm#RNC
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "It's my duty to fight those who have chosen to belong to the party of
      death, those who say they receive their orders from God somewhere and
      believe they have a duty to set the world on fire to achieve their own
      salvation, whether they are in the warrens of Iraq, or in the White
      House. I prefer to be a card-carrying member of the party of life."

      Wole Soyinka
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        | When people drive many more than 5,000 cars down Manhattan
        | streets everyday causing wrecks, injuries, and air pollution,
        | thats not a problem? Why didn't the 'government respond in
        | this manner' to any of the previous rides that drew more than
        | a thousand cyclists?"

        =v= The ACLU is asking the same question.

        =v= I saw the arrests. Basically the police blocked off a
        street (causing far more traffic jamming than Critical Mass
        ever did), then drove a bunch of scooters into the crowd
        and arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately.

        =v= I was arrested myself while walking my bicycle on the
        sidewalk during Sunday's Bike Bloc ride ("Critical Mass
        style," it sez on the flyer). Again, basically a roundup
        of people arrested indiscriminately.
        <_Jym_>
      • adolfo restrepo
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          I was arrested on the DOT designated bicycle lane on second avenue.
          from Gustavo Ortiz

          Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:
          | When people drive many more than 5,000 cars down Manhattan
          | streets everyday causing wrecks, injuries, and air pollution,
          | thats not a problem? Why didn't the 'government respond in
          | this manner' to any of the previous rides that drew more than
          | a thousand cyclists?"

          =v= The ACLU is asking the same question.

          =v= I saw the arrests. Basically the police blocked off a
          street (causing far more traffic jamming than Critical Mass
          ever did), then drove a bunch of scooters into the crowd
          and arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately.

          =v= I was arrested myself while walking my bicycle on the
          sidewalk during Sunday's Bike Bloc ride ("Critical Mass
          style," it sez on the flyer). Again, basically a roundup
          of people arrested indiscriminately.
          <_Jym_>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jym Dyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
            > I was arrested on the DOT designated bicycle lane on second
            > avenue.
            > from Gustavo Ortiz

            =v= Yep, your name is listed in the _Village_Voice_'s Honor
            Roll of arrestees.

            =v= SFTB, but if anyone else on this list was arrested while
            biking near or during the RNC, I urge you to contact TIME'S
            UP! for legal help. We are coordinating all bike info and
            are working with the National Lawyers' Guild and the NYCLU.

            =v= Details here:

            http://www.times-up.org/call_rnc.php

            <_Jym_>
            Still We Ride
            --
            Ads below? Just ignore 'em.
          • adolfo restrepo
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2004
              hello friend,
              i contacted nlg. they basically told me to be prudent at court, i told them that i was pleading not guilty, they said that they would contact me couple weeks for civil suite.
              best regards,
              gustavo