World Car/Free Days invitation

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2004
      Dear CarFree Cities,

      This is to draw your attention to the information, discussions and links
      that you will find in the World Car/Free Days site at
      http://WorldCarFreeDay.com <http://worldcarfreeday.com/> .

      To put this in context, I attach the latest update on the New Mobility
      Agenda program at http://newmobility.org of which World Car/Free Days is
      one part.

      If you have any question or suggestions for us in any of the areas in
      which they work, please take this an open invitation to get in touch.
      And yes! we do answer our mail.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      The New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org

      The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative

      Tel: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 8096 7879

      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +33 (1) 53 01 28 96

      IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

      Email: postmaster@...

      Friday, August 27, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Subject: New Mobility Agenda /Invitation to international collaboration
      and exchange

      Dear Friends,

      This is an open invitation to collaboration and exchange in the area of
      sustainable mobility. As a first step permit me to introduce briefly
      the work and programs of the <http://newmobility.org/> New Mobility
      Agenda of <http://ecoplan.org/> The Commons, for which you will find
      as extensive web site at <http://newmobility.org/>
      http://newmobility.org While a complete description will be found on
      the opening page of the site, permit me to bring several components to
      your attention, opening first with a short section here on . . .

      A 20/20 New Mobility Target Initiative for your city:

      1. To move from patently unsustainable to sustainable mobility
      requires an aggressive, coordinated, locally-driven, now-oriented
      pattern-break commitment on the part of all concerned with the transport
      sector and beyond. 20/20?
      2. If your “sustainable transportation” project or your integrated
      package of measures (which is what you need) does not aim to achieve
      very aggressive (say, 20%) cuts in traffic, pollution and accident
      levels – and that within the next 20 months -- then it is not a
      sustainability project. It’s just one more speculative peek into a
      distant future that is less than responsible given the pressures on the
      city and its citizens today.
      3. To achieve these ambitious but critical objectives, those
      responsible must be to commit at least 20% of the gross transport
      investment budget into the 20/20 program. Starting immediately. (This
      mainly will be achieved through a reshuffling and better coordination of
      more strategic mobility improvements, and does not require reams of new
      money.)
      4. The planning period to develop a 20/20 program: 3 to 6 months,
      but with major backing by and commitment of local government.
      5. Curious to see how this could work in your city: Tune in to the
      forthcoming Toronto 2004 New Mobility week which will be given over to a
      wide open public consultation on how this approach can be adapted and
      enhanced for their city. (Details at http://newmobility.org
      <http://newmobility.org/> , click Toronto New Mobility Week.)

      This is not to say that there is no place for long term thinking and
      action in the New Mobility Agenda, but rather the level of urgency of
      the problems in most places requires immediate remedial action. Thus,
      all longer term programs and thrust must be supported by aggressive and
      broadly supported near term actions, for which the scope is in fact very
      large. (Which by the way should not do you a great deal of harm if you
      happen to be mayor or councilman with an election in the wings).

      The Programs:

      1. <http://newmobility.org/> The New Mobility Agenda –
      http://newmobility.org
      Unconstrained by bureaucracy, economic interests or schedules, New
      Mobility was launched in 1988 as an open international platform for
      critical discussion, exchanges of materials and views, and diverse forms
      of cross-border collaboration on the challenging, necessarily conflicted
      topic of "sustainable transportation and social justice".

      2. <http://worldcarshare.com/> World CarShare Consortium –
      http://worldcarshare.com
      The world’s first-stop shop for information and perspective on
      carsharing. Why are we supporting a concept that may to some appear to
      be so off-beat and marginal as carsharing? Simple! We think it's a
      great, sustainable, practical mobility concept whose time has come.
      Carsharing: the missing link in the world's new sustainable transport
      system

      3. <http://worldcarfreeday.com/> World Car Free Days Network –
      http://worldcarfreeday.com
      Cities around the world are beginning to work with this ice-breaking
      sustainability approach. It's not research or theory; it is policy and
      practice. This forum offering information, discussion space and ideas
      for people who care about sustainable transport and aren't afraid to
      work at it.

      4 <http://www.ecoplan.org/com_index.htm> Land Value Capture
      Initiative - http://www.ecoplan.org/com_index.htm

      When our public servants invest our hard earned taxpayer dollars in
      investments that improve our communities and increase the value of real
      estate in the impacted areas, some or all of this increment should be
      recouped in order to fund much needed public services. This is easy to
      say but hard to do. So tune in here and lend a hand in this important
      task.

      4. <http://www.ecoplan.org/children/> Children on the Move –
      http://www.ecoplan.org/children/
      A place to share and develop ideas, materials and collaboration on
      matters involving the ways our children can and could move around in
      their daily lives. And how we can perhaps help them better understand
      and link their personal mobility choices to the broader challenges of
      sustainability and full lives. (To be jointly reactivated in 2004.)

      5. <http://uncfd.org/> United Nations Car Free Days Programme –
      http://uncfd.org
      The Commons was approached by the UN in 2001 to lead this cooperative
      program in preparation for the World Summit on Sustainable Development.
      This program has made some useful first steps but now needs to be
      re-examined, overhauled and redirected in order to achieve its ambitious
      objectives. Negotiations & hard thinking in process.

      6. <http://wtransport.org/> The Journal of World Transport Policy
      & Practice – http://wTransport.org
      The first practically-oriented journal dealing consistently and with
      full independence with the major issues of sustainable mobility. Click
      here to visit the electronic version of the Journal through 2002. (And
      <http://www.eco-logica.co.uk/WTPPhome.html> here to get the latest copy
      of the Journal direct from John Whitelegg at the new site for Eco-logica
      in Britain.)

      The Tools:

      There are also a number of supporting, interactive tools that you may
      find useful in each case . . .

      1. <http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/newmob-news.htm> New
      Mobility News Alerts -
      http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/newmob-news.htm
      The internet gives unprecedented opportunities to stay abreast of latest
      sustainable mobility developments world wide. This new tool set provides
      one click overviews of latest developments in five languages (and
      counting). Read it with your morning coffee. You may be surprised at how
      much is going on in this patently unsustainable world.

      2. World Inventory of Sustainability
      <http://ecoplan.org/general/resources.htm> Resources -
      http://ecoplan.org/general/resources.htm
      One-click access to our continuously updated selection of hundreds of
      outstanding sustainability research and action programs and websites in
      some forty countries world wide. Indexed and fully searchable.

      * Are you there? Did we miss one of your best references? Let us
      know so it will be there for all to use.

      3. <http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/action-program.htm>
      Collective Actions/Peer Support -
      http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/action-program.htm
      We have three main assets that allow us to get together to support
      outstanding project initiatives: (a) a group of highly knowledgeable
      committed people with diverse backgrounds and points of view, (b) a
      strongly shared interest not only in improving physical movements but
      also in the sustainability and social justice agendas, and (c) an
      effective networking and communications medium. Read on to see how we
      are putting this to work in 2004.

      4. <http://www.ecoplan.org/general/e-environment.htm> The
      Electronic Environment -
      http://www.ecoplan.org/general/e-environment.htm
      There is plenty of low cost technology available to support
      international collaboration & advance the sustainability agenda world
      wide. And though technology is not going to solve all our problems and
      dilemmas of sustainable development, its role in the move to a more
      sustainable world is going to be critical.. (In process: stay tuned.)

      5. <http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/worldforum.htm> Discussion
      Fora/Lists - http://www.ecoplan.org/wtpp/general/worldforum.htm
      The workings of each of the specialized sites/programs are clearly
      spelled out on their respective home pages, and each of which are
      supported by their own Discussion Groups. All of our fora are monitored
      low volume messaging lists, with never more than one message max/day
      (other than the several “cafés” which are intended to facilitate freer,
      at times higher volume exchanges and information and idea swapping).
      Moreover our moderator tries hard to make sure that the messages that do
      come out are germane to the interest of our very busy members.

      6. <http://www.ecoplan.org/> The Commons Open Society
      Sustainability Initiative - http://www.ecoplan.org/
      This is the broader context of and gateway to all our programs,
      including the New Mobility Agenda. The Commons has been developed over
      the last decades as a wide open, independent first-stop shop on the web
      for concerned citizens, researchers, students, policy makers,
      entrepreneurs, investors or social activists interested in quickly
      getting a feel for world sustainability issues, views and developments
      from an unbiased critical perspective. We may not know all the answers,
      but we know some pretty good questions. The Commons is an Open Society
      program that invites diversity, complex thinking and initiative.

      That’s it from Paris for today. Now you know a bit about us, but
      perhaps we can somehow be of help to you in areas of our common interest
      and competence. All of the programs under The Commons are based on
      international sharing and cooperation, which of course is why we are
      contacting you today. If you have any questions or wish further
      information or background this is the place to turn.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      The Commons – New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris, France, Europe

      T: +331 4326 1323 Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896

      W : http://www.ecoplan.org IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.149

      E: Eric.Britton@... Personal webpage: www.EricBritton.org

      --- Outgoing mail certified Virus Free. Checked by Norton Anti-Virus.
      Version 9.05.15

      The Commons: Pioneering new concepts for business, entrepreneurs,
      activists, community groups, and local government; increasing the
      uncomfort zone for hesitant administrators and politicians; and through
      our joint efforts, energy and personal choices, placing them and
      ourselves firmly on the path to a more sustainable and more just
      society.