Re: [carfree_cities] IGT - the utlimate way to beat the car

  • Jeremy Hubble
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2004
      This reminds me of the local University 'drunk van'. During the late
      night hours (something like 10pm-4am), students can call a number to
      have a van pick them up and drop them off at their destination (in a
      roughly half mile area.) The driver gets the calls, and then plans out
      his route by himself. Waits can sometimes be up to half an hour. I'd
      imagine with the IGT system, the automated aspect could significantly
      cut these delays.

      This seems like it could work well in dense suburban environments.
      There, distances may be a little too far (and too unpleasant) to walk,
      yet not far enough to require large vehicle dead-heads. In an urban
      environment, it may also be a good substitute for taxi cabs and some
      circulator bus service.

      The utility seems to be limited to a certain range of usage. With very
      little usage, empty vans would be running around the city and waiting
      times. At very high usage, they would end up functioning like a fixed
      bus route, only less efficiently.

      The technology does seem to be the key. If the technology is properly
      implemented, it could even be retrofitted in to existing taxi services.