Re: [carfree_cities] IGT - the utlimate way to beat the car

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2004
      Hmmmm....

      1 - I dont understand how the IGT can be safer than rail-based systems (it claims to be the safest public transport). As always, safe means both inside and outside the vehicle
      2 - One of the nice things about walking, cycling, taking existing public transport and trains (providing you dont use an online ticket) is that it is anonymous in TWO ways:
      a - No ID, credit card, etc. connected to you
      b - No strangers seeing exactly where you live (you could of course get on and off in some public area but of course this negates some or much of the claimed time and personal freight - shopping, etc. - advantages)
      3 - In any case there should be a provision for carrying a bicycle (or it cannot do what most public transport systems can)
      4 - Eating is much easier to do in larger vehicles!
      5 - With a bus or tram, especially those with short distance between stops, it is not difficult to jump off if you see a friend, etc and go back to meet them, and of course walking or riding a bike let you be the most spontaneous
      6 - The existing road network is needed (even if roads are narrowed, etc. to get people to their front doors), more so then with Bus Rapid Transit which also can use existing road network with modifications.
      7 - The social disadvantages of going straight from your front door to your car are not reduced, except that perhaps using IGT might stimulate you to think more about your mobility choices in general.
      8 - Unlike underground systems and public transport which operates on major streets, the necessity for every street to be cleared of snow, etc could also limit the advantages in certain cities.
      9 - I really object to use of language like "ultimate", "best" etc.
      10 - Is it conceived to be incorporated into "Multipass" systems like those starting in Germany where you can use public transport, carshare, etc with one card?
      11 - What about off-peak use? How efficient is a fleet of IGTs late at night? I suppose fewer vehicles would be "online" but it seems like getting a good balance between that number and keep journey short could be some work...

      I will look more at the numbers about environmental benefits, if just to see the methadology used...

      Have fun!
      Todd Edelman, Steering Commitee, World Carfree Network

      > Od: "ga_olmi" <gao1@...>
      > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > Datum: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:13:51 -0000
      > Předmět: [carfree_cities] IGT - the utlimate way to beat the car
      >
      > Intelligent Grouping Transportation
      >
      > I wish to draw your attention to possibly best practicable solution for tackling urban
      > traffic congestion, air pollution and climate change ever devised. This solution is an
      > innovative new transport concept called Intelligent Grouping Transportation (IGT),
      > which is fully explained at www.taxibus.org.uk
      >
      > IGT can dramatically decrease urban traffic and parking congestion by as much as
      > fivefold (80%), and it can reduce city air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions by
      > similar amounts.
      >
      > At present, corporate or government investment backing for IGT is sought.
      >
      > Joe Olmi
      > IGT Consultant
      > London, UK
      >
      > Web www.taxibus.org.uk
      > Email joe@...
      > Tel/Fax + 44 20 8723 6575

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      --------------------
      Konečně tě vídím barevně! SAMSUNG X450 již od 1577 Kč. http://user.centrum.cz/redir.php?url=http://www.oskarmobil.cz/handsets/handset.php?lang=cz§ion=&id=87&ii=2
    • Jeremy Hubble
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2004
        This reminds me of the local University 'drunk van'. During the late
        night hours (something like 10pm-4am), students can call a number to
        have a van pick them up and drop them off at their destination (in a
        roughly half mile area.) The driver gets the calls, and then plans out
        his route by himself. Waits can sometimes be up to half an hour. I'd
        imagine with the IGT system, the automated aspect could significantly
        cut these delays.

        This seems like it could work well in dense suburban environments.
        There, distances may be a little too far (and too unpleasant) to walk,
        yet not far enough to require large vehicle dead-heads. In an urban
        environment, it may also be a good substitute for taxi cabs and some
        circulator bus service.

        The utility seems to be limited to a certain range of usage. With very
        little usage, empty vans would be running around the city and waiting
        times. At very high usage, they would end up functioning like a fixed
        bus route, only less efficiently.

        The technology does seem to be the key. If the technology is properly
        implemented, it could even be retrofitted in to existing taxi services.