Re: Big Box Stores - Too Much Walking?

  • mgagnonlv
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2004
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Lanyon, Ryan"
      <ryan.lanyon@o...> wrote:
      > I came across this quote in our local business newspaper....
      >
      > Anyhow, I find the aversion to walking in Big Box stores curious.
      Big Box
      > shopping seems to me to have even less walking than indoor mall
      shopping,
      > but perhaps because the walking environment is so poor (inside and
      outside
      > the store), the walking seems more like work?
      >
      > From: http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/284963068977191.php
      >
      > Ms Boucher would have preferred to see Wal-Mart remain at Place
      d'Orleans......

      That's basically it. The Place d'Orléans is definitely not downtown,
      but it is *relatively* close to a neighbourhood and is served by bus
      (or busses). It's also an indoor shopping centre, which means it is
      easy to go from store to store by walking indoors, free from ice,
      rain, cold...
      The major complaint with big-store areas is that stores are typically
      *around* a parking area, so one can't easily walk between stores
      (strip malls are better in that regard, because there is a relatively
      protected sidewalk in front of all stores). If one really wants, it's
      possible to walk from the main street (and bus line) to any of the
      stores, or from one store to another, but it typically has to be done
      in the parking lot(s), without any protected alleyways for
      pedestrians. I find these parking lots relatively accessible by bike,
      because I have enough speed to deal with traffic; they are quite
      another story on foot (even at the ripe age of 45).

      Interestingly enough, in some places, parking lots are attributed to
      individual stores, so you are "required" to move your car from one
      store to another... which is a nice way to increase blood pressure,
      traffic jams, pollution, etc. At the other extreme, some, like Le
      Marché central (Montréal) offer a free shuttle service on the busiest
      days.