Re: [carfree_cities] heavens!

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
      On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Christopher Miller wrote:

      > After seeing the links to the site selling recreational bloatmobiles
      > today, I must protest my innocence: I got this URL purely by accident
      > while googling for "no cars". Does anyone remember this guy back in the
      > 1960s who invented these flying saucer shaped flying cars? He's still
      > at it, and is taking reservations for his vertical takeoff and landing
      > flying car:

      Ummm... isn't that a (ahem!) *crane* in the background of the "hover
      test" still shot?

      Ya gotta admit that the line about "our evolutionary path to
      independence from gravity" is nothing if not visionary.

      Of course, back in the 60s, I could have helped this fellow free
      himself from gravity with a lot less effort and research -- and thrown
      in all the visions he wanted at no extra charge.

      -Doug

      ---
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo
      Post Office Box 307
      Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA

      <doug@...>
    • Tom Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2004
        Yup, that is indeed a crane, and there is a cable attached to the car.
        However, the cable is slack.

        There is also a cable attached to the back of the car.

        My guess is the back cable was used to load diagnostic data from the
        vehicle's systems in realtime during the test, and the upper cable is a
        safety to prevent it from flipping over in the event of high winds,
        system failure, or operator error.

        --
        High Prince Crashalot of the Holy Order of Multiball Madness, Suburban
        Warrior of Disarray, Master of the Lost Circuit Collective, Member of

        Also known to the unenlightened as Tom Morris, KG4CYX

        Discordian Code V1.3 ( http://www.23ae.com/format/discordiancode/code13.html )
        DADA/DO Tpcy c s+:+ a-- Comp+++ P++ E++ F+ R+ tv+ b++ OM5 RAW? DC+ e* h! r
        !ys K+++

        Uniform Disinformation Locator: http://blueneon.xidus.net

        * Do not use this signature as toilet paper *