re: best Cities to Go Carfree

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
      The main reasons were personal. A lot of groups and institutions that I
      was associated with started to disintegrate or disappear within a
      two-year period, and most of the people I had been close to either
      moved away, died, or changed drastically within that same time. The
      pig-headed antipathy to taxes and public services in the state of
      Oregon as a whole (outside of Portland and the college towns) was just
      another irritant.

      Even though I miss seeing mountains out my kitchen window, living
      through a winter without subzero temperatures, and living within five
      minutes' walk of a light rail station, moving back to my home city of
      Minneapolis has provided a lot of new beginnings. If anything, the
      urban environment is more deteriorated here, but I've found a pleasant,
      walkable neighborhood (the same one that Eric Utne of the The Utne
      Reader lives in) and made plenty of new and interesting connections.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness

      On Wednesday, Aug 4, 2004, at 03:41 US/Central,
      carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Karen,
      >
      > Of the other things that went sour, which items had to do with the
      > public
      > realm? Crime? School quality? Bad governance? Were any of these
      > public
      > goods related to the overall quality of urban life headed in a
      > declining
      > direction?

    • Patrick J McDonough
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        Can someone point me to a good web resource that explains how european
        fuel taxes are spent?

        Which portion goes to road maintenance? Which to public transport? Which
        portion to bike/ped? How much is diverted to non-transport related
        government programs?

        Individual ountry information is great, multi-country information is even
        better.

        Thanks,
        Patrick McDonough