Furious row over global warming in Moscow

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      Here is a dispassionate account of one hell of a row that happened at a
      conference in Russia last month:

      http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Artic
      le_Type1&c=Article&cid=1090534211634&call_pageid=968332188774&col=9683501164
      67

      These rows are occurring among the highly educated. We know Sir David King,
      UK chief scientific adviser to HM government. said recently that "Global
      warming is worse than terrorism" (Science Journal 9 Jan 2004 - for a PDF
      file of the full article see:
      http://www.britischebotschaft.de/en/news/items/040109a.htm )

      Below are references to stories from the right and from the Russian media
      perspective as Sir David and colleagues sought to emphasise the above
      assertion at the meeting in July:

      "...Yet another example of arrogant America disrupting the world's attempts
      to solve the climate change program? No. The delegation in question was that
      of the United Kingdom, and the conference was that held last week (15th July
      approx) in Moscow, hosted by the Russian Academy of Sciences.

      http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/murray200407230903.asp

      http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/07/12/041.html

      http://www.techcentralstation.com/071904F.html

      I'd be interested in reactions to this. Is this an example of global-warming
      getting out of net debate among campaigners and off the streets and out of
      the pamphlets and truly into the realm of hi-politics where men in suits
      start shouting at each other? I doubt Sir David and his delegation would
      have behaved as they did without support at the highest level in the UK
      Government.

      Regards

      Simon

      Simon Baddeley Birmingham B20 3TG