Re: [carfree_cities] Re: best Cities to Go Carfree

  • Patrick J McDonough
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
      Karen,

      Of the other things that went sour, which items had to do with the public
      realm? Crime? School quality? Bad governance? Were any of these public
      goods related to the overall quality of urban life headed in a declining
      direction?

      Clean streets, walkable neighborhoods where the elderly and children are
      safe, local schools, and well-managed public spaces are also important to
      support car-free living.

      Patrick McDonough

      On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Karen Sandness wrote:
      > I left Portland because everything EXCEPT the transit system started
      > turning sour for me, but simply from the point of view of accessibility
      > without a car, Portland is hard to beat if you want a mid-sized city
      > with a mild climate.
    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
        The main reasons were personal. A lot of groups and institutions that I
        was associated with started to disintegrate or disappear within a
        two-year period, and most of the people I had been close to either
        moved away, died, or changed drastically within that same time. The
        pig-headed antipathy to taxes and public services in the state of
        Oregon as a whole (outside of Portland and the college towns) was just
        another irritant.

        Even though I miss seeing mountains out my kitchen window, living
        through a winter without subzero temperatures, and living within five
        minutes' walk of a light rail station, moving back to my home city of
        Minneapolis has provided a lot of new beginnings. If anything, the
        urban environment is more deteriorated here, but I've found a pleasant,
        walkable neighborhood (the same one that Eric Utne of the The Utne
        Reader lives in) and made plenty of new and interesting connections.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness

        On Wednesday, Aug 4, 2004, at 03:41 US/Central,
        carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Karen,
        >
        > Of the other things that went sour, which items had to do with the
        > public
        > realm? Crime? School quality? Bad governance? Were any of these
        > public
        > goods related to the overall quality of urban life headed in a
        > declining
        > direction?

      • Patrick J McDonough
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Can someone point me to a good web resource that explains how european
          fuel taxes are spent?

          Which portion goes to road maintenance? Which to public transport? Which
          portion to bike/ped? How much is diverted to non-transport related
          government programs?

          Individual ountry information is great, multi-country information is even
          better.

          Thanks,
          Patrick McDonough