Atlanta and other Cities

  • Suzanne Wooten
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 6:54 PM
      Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in mind.What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?

    • Jeremy Hubble
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 7:32 PM
        Phoenix can be a challenge. The heat and the sprawl put it on the
        low-end of the easy 'to go car free' scale. However, areas like Tempe
        have a large student population and can be fairly accessible on foot or
        bike. There are also some employment centers (I recall an America West
        HQ) close to campus. And when I was there a few years back the bus
        system accepted credit cards.

        Atlanta could be a very viable car-free location. It seems that every
        other Marta stop is in the middle of a mall or major shopping center.
        Probably one of the few places were you could lead a suburban big-box
        shopping life style without a car. Transit and housing are also fairly
        cheap. However, most residents are car addicts, and have this tendency
        to move further and further out and drive ridiculously long hours.

        Northern California is a great car-free location. Unfortunately, real
        estate costs there are insanely high. San Francisco and San Mateo
        counties are built up mostly on a narrow section of a peninsula. With
        CalTrain on one side, and BART on the most built up portion of the other
        side, it is very easy to navigate by train. Throw in a bike and you can
        really get anywhere there with ease. Down in to Silicon Valley,
        transit isn't as good, and pollution is worse, but it is still easy to
        get around by bike and foot. Even though most development is single
        family houses, the lots tend to be smaller, and neighborhoods reasonably
        built up. The East Bay also also amble car-free opportunities,
        especially in Oakland and Berkeley. The weather is comfortable year
        round, making it ideal for Biking.

        Salt Lake City has along narrow layout with a train similar to the San
        Francisco area. It's very easy to get around on foot, bike, or
        bus/train. However, most people seem to drive.

        Then you can always branch out to other countries and continents. If
        you really want warm try south america, India, Southeast Asia, Africa,
        etc.

        In reality, with few exceptions, you can comfortably live car free just
        about anywhere. With a bike you could get to locations that are outside
        walking distance (and carry larger loads.) Sometimes the most car
        friendly areas can be the bets places to go car free. They often seem
        to be trying hard to get people out of there cars, offering
        ever-improving and cheap transit, as well as enhancing bicycle and
        pedestrian facilities. If you have children then things start to get a
        little more tricky. Walking is definitely preferred making urban areas
        as the more ideal destination.

        Suzanne Wooten wrote:

        > Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in mind.What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Randall Hunt
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 12:38 PM
          >Message: 11
          > Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
          > From: Suzanne Wooten <hazyzane68@...>
          >Subject: Atlanta and other Cities
          >
          >Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in mind.
          >What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?

          I have the very great pleasure of living as a pedestrian in Jerome, AZ, a
          former copper mining town built on the side of a mountain. The town sits
          about 2000 feet above the Verde Valley. The view across the valley includes
          the red rocks of Sedona, Sycamore Canyon wilderness area, Tuzigoot indian
          ruin, the Verde River and Tavasci Marsh (known worldwide as a birding
          mecca), and the towns of Cottonwood and Clarkdale below. (Cottonwood has
          light pollution ordinances, tho they don't seem to be very well enforced)
          The San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff, sacred to the indigenous peoples, are
          clearly in view about fifty miles away. Arcosanti is about 40 minutes away.
          Check out the view at
          http://www.wildapache.net/randhunt/art/ironwork.htm#Stair (scroll to third
          photo).

          The town was founded 1899. In 1930, Jerome had a population of 15,000 and
          was the third largest city in the state. The 2000 census put the town at
          329, including many artists, writers, musicians and bikers. The entire town
          is an official historical site, and is more or less preserved
          architecturally.

          About 3 years ago, we got a general store. There is no bank or gas station
          but you can coast the 4 miles out of town to a pump -- just make sure your
          brakes are working! Since Jerome sits on the side of a mountain, walking
          becomes aerobic exercise. It takes me 25 minutes to walk from Cleopatra
          Hill to the old town dump. It takes me 5 minutes to walk to work.

          We get a few inches of snow a few times a year. Today, I'm hoping the
          thunderheads will pile up and keep this monsoon season active. It's about
          90 degrees F. Water scarcity is a major issue here, as it is all over
          Arizona.

          Since you (all) are on this list, I wouldn't mind having you as a
          neighbor...but please don't tell anyone else about Jerome!

          Randall Hunt
        • monoceroos
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15 1:48 PM
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Suzanne Wooten
            <hazyzane68@y...> wrote:
            > Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in
            mind.What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?

            Sorry about the delayed reply ... I just noticed this thread today.

            I arrived in Tucson at the end of very long cross-country bicycle
            trip in 1985. It seemed like a wonderful place to stay and commute
            by bicycle. I haven't been disappointed although the town has grown
            considerably since my arrival.

            For a while I had a car and a couple of motorcycles for
            transportation. But, almost three years ago I donated the car to
            charity and only ride one of the motorcycles (if I have a fairly
            distant destination) -- 99% of my travel is by bicycle which I find
            quite satisfying. Tucson does have a fairly good bus system, but I
            haven't used it in years as I live out in the county and the nearest
            bus stop is 5 miles away. Be warned, the Tucson urban area is
            really spread out.

            It's a relatively low wage town but, then, the cost of living is
            also fairly low -- it works out. BTW, I lived in Phoenix for a
            couple of years (for employment reasons) and consider it the anti-
            Tucson. I'll never go back there to live -- no offense meant to
            those who reside there.
          • J B
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16 5:45 PM
              whats the tempeture in arizona?

              monoceroos <monoceroos@...> wrote:--- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Suzanne Wooten
              wrote:
              > Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in
              mind.What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?

              Sorry about the delayed reply ... I just noticed this thread today.

              I arrived in Tucson at the end of very long cross-country bicycle
              trip in 1985. It seemed like a wonderful place to stay and commute
              by bicycle. I haven't been disappointed although the town has grown
              considerably since my arrival.

              For a while I had a car and a couple of motorcycles for
              transportation. But, almost three years ago I donated the car to
              charity and only ride one of the motorcycles (if I have a fairly
              distant destination) -- 99% of my travel is by bicycle which I find
              quite satisfying. Tucson does have a fairly good bus system, but I
              haven't used it in years as I live out in the county and the nearest
              bus stop is 5 miles away. Be warned, the Tucson urban area is
              really spread out.

              It's a relatively low wage town but, then, the cost of living is
              also fairly low -- it works out. BTW, I lived in Phoenix for a
              couple of years (for employment reasons) and consider it the anti-
              Tucson. I'll never go back there to live -- no offense meant to
              those who reside there.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Morin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16 5:56 PM
                Between electricity and water usage, I think Tucson, like others, should
                reassess the way they live and do business

                Working for peace and cooperation,

                Mike Morin

                > > Thank you for your carfree city ideas I`ll keep all of them in
                > mind.What about Arizona ,does anyone live in Arizona without a car?
                > >
                > Sorry about the delayed reply ... I just noticed this thread today.
                >
                > I arrived in Tucson at the end of very long cross-country bicycle
                > trip in 1985. It seemed like a wonderful place to stay and commute
                > by bicycle. I haven't been disappointed although the town has grown
                > considerably since my arrival.
                >
                > For a while I had a car and a couple of motorcycles for
                > transportation. But, almost three years ago I donated the car to
                > charity and only ride one of the motorcycles (if I have a fairly
                > distant destination) -- 99% of my travel is by bicycle which I find
                > quite satisfying. Tucson does have a fairly good bus system, but I
                > haven't used it in years as I live out in the county and the nearest
                > bus stop is 5 miles away. Be warned, the Tucson urban area is
                > really spread out.
                >
                > It's a relatively low wage town but, then, the cost of living is
                > also fairly low -- it works out. BTW, I lived in Phoenix for a
                > couple of years (for employment reasons) and consider it the anti-
                > Tucson. I'll never go back there to live -- no offense meant to
                > those who reside there.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • monoceroos
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16 7:49 PM
                  --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, J B <jab44helix@y...> wrote:
                  > whats the tempeture in arizona?

                  I'd like to restate my original message a bit for clarity.

                  Arizona is a large state with a wide variety of average
                  temperatures. Tucson is located in the Sonora Desert and is a bit
                  warmer than other areas of the state, but still not so hot as
                  Phoenix and Yuma.

                  I find Tucson very livable 10 months of the year -- I manage to
                  bicycle 12 months of the year. July and August can be a bit toasty.
                  In August, the average temperature is 84.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

                  The nice thing about Arizona, is the wide variety of available
                  climatic conditions primarily determined by altitude. For example,
                  on the north side of town, Mt. Lemmon sports a ski area. And if you
                  really like cold and snow, there is Flagstaff and the White
                  Mountains.

                  Unfortunately, the population is increasing dramatically since I
                  moved to Arizona in 1985. And that population increase is ruining
                  many of the qualities I initially found so enchanting about the
                  state.

                  About ten years ago, I moved to an area next to the Tucson Mountains
                  just outside of Tucson with few neighbors. My area has been
                  discovered by the so-called developers and is in the process of
                  being completely devastated for ticky-tacky housing projects. All
                  for a few bucks. Hanging's too good fer 'em, IMHO.

                  See:
                  www.cityrating.com/citytemperature.asp?City=Tucson