Re: [carfree_cities] best Cities To Go Carfree

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      hazyzane68 wrote:

      > Hi, I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
      > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
      > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
      > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice
      > is helpful...thanks!!!

      Believe it or not, parts of LA are possible! Anywhere near a Red Line
      stop becomes functionally carfree, as you can get to about 80% of the
      city then by transit fairly quickly. Best (and affordable) would be
      Koreatown near Wilshire & Vermont--not far from the LA Ecovillage (see
      http://www.ic.org/laev/ for details; they have housing available most of
      the time). I live carfree (except when on dates with my caraddicted
      fiancee) near Wilshire & La Brea, but I have to take a bus (one of the
      Rapids) to get to the nearest Metro station.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Both our political and religious traditions instruct us that the truth
      makes us free. Our kind of government can govern effectively only by
      telling the truth, just as effective citizenship depends on knowing the
      truth. Official secrecy and official lies, even in a 'good cause,' can
      carry us toward tyranny. Our government is meant to conduct the public's
      business in public."

      Wendell Berry
    • Larry Felton Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
        I'll do another "believe it or not" and point out that as long as one sticks
        to the old parts of the city (variously called "intown" or "inside the
        perimeter" Atlanta is a quite good place to go car free.

        The optimal way to do it would be live downtown within a block or two of the
        Five Points MARTA station downtown. This puts you right at both rapid
        transit lines. With a combination of walking, train, cycling and bus you
        have virtually anything you'd ever need ranging from a two minute walk to a
        half hour combination trip (train and cycling or bus). Generally I've seen
        prices for purchase of condos in the 90,000 to 250,000 range, but a friend's
        sister picked one up for 60,000 not too long ago. I'm not sure about rental
        there.

        The two criticisms one hears about Atlanta is that it's impossible to live
        here without a car, which isn't true, and that there are no classic urban
        areas, which also isn't true.

        Larry

        > > Hi, I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
        > > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
        > > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
        > > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice
        > > is helpful...thanks!!!
        > >
        > Believe it or not, parts of LA are possible! Anywhere near a Red Line
        > stop becomes functionally carfree, as you can get to about 80% of the
        > city then by transit fairly quickly. Best (and affordable) would be
        > Koreatown near Wilshire & Vermont--not far from the LA Ecovillage (see
        > http://www.ic.org/laev/ for details; they have housing available most of
        > the time). I live carfree (except when on dates with my caraddicted
        > fiancee) near Wilshire & La Brea, but I have to take a bus (one of the
        > Rapids) to get to the nearest Metro station.
        >
        > Richard
        > --
        > Richard Risemberg
        > http://www.living-room.org
        > http://www.newcolonist.com
        >
        > "Both our political and religious traditions instruct us that the truth
        > makes us free. Our kind of government can govern effectively only by
        > telling the truth, just as effective citizenship depends on knowing the
        > truth. Official secrecy and official lies, even in a 'good cause,' can
        > carry us toward tyranny. Our government is meant to conduct the public's
        > business in public."
        >
        > Wendell Berry

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Korn, Dan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
          How about Chicago? If you're a cyclist, it was recently voted by Bicycling Magazine as the number one or two big city in the U.S. for cycling. Of course, Bicycling Magazine says that you should only ride your bike after you've driven it somewhere on your SUV, but even for transportational cycling, Chicago is pretty good. And we have a very dynamic cycling community here, with plenty of activists as well as recreational cyclists. We had well over a thousand riders on our Critical Mass ride last Friday.

          Of course, being in the United States of Automobiles, we have way too many cars in the city too, so there's a long way to go, but we're in a better situation than most other really big cities in North America. We have a really good bike-friendly public transportation system in the CTA as well, although it's currently facing a major budget crisis. It's not as extensive as the MTA in New York, but it's certainly better than the transit system in L.A., and compares favorably to other systems, even the ones in the Northwest. And despite massive gentrification in recent years, there are still affordable places to live in the city (unless you're really poor, in which case the powers-that-be pretty much want you to just go away).

          But wait, you said you wanted somewhere warm. Well, I just rode into work and I can assure you that it's plenty warm in Chicago today! But you were probably talking about year-round. All I can say is that, while we do get some cold winters in Chicago, we have a lot of year-round cyclists, and we have plenty of fun with our Bike Winter activities:
          www.bikewinter.org

          Even if you're not a cyclist, Chicago's public transportation system does pretty well in the winter. Besides, if you're from Michigan, you're already used to the cold weather. And if you're car-free here, you can have fun laughing at the people putting lawn chairs in the street to claim parking spaces in the wintertime. Free furniture!

          Dan
          www.dankorn.com