best Cities To Go Carfree

  • hazyzane68
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi,
      I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
      question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
      a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
      that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice is
      helpful...thanks!!!

      Suzanne
    • Mike Morin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
        Suzanne,

        Eugene, Oregon is relatively affordable, and relatively warm. It is overrun
        by cars but has a fairly good bus system.

        Hope this helps.

        P&C,

        MM
        > I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
        > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
        > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
        > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice is
        > helpful...thanks!!!
        >
        > Suzanne

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Morin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
          Another that I would suggest you look into is Fayetteville, Arkansas.

          It is very affordable, the weather is relatively warm, it is a college town
          (University of Arkansas), is relatively compact (you can go car-free,
          assuming you can find work within walking distance), there was a bus system,
          maybe still is... I lived there 20 to 23 years ago...

          Hope this helps,

          P&C

          MM

          > I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
          > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
          > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
          > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice is
          > helpful...thanks!!!
          >
          > Suzanne

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • hazyzane68
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
            Eugene is a nice city,I`ll keep it in mind.

            Thanks

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Morin" <mikemorin@e...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
              hazyzane68 wrote:

              > Hi, I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
              > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
              > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
              > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice
              > is helpful...thanks!!!

              Believe it or not, parts of LA are possible! Anywhere near a Red Line
              stop becomes functionally carfree, as you can get to about 80% of the
              city then by transit fairly quickly. Best (and affordable) would be
              Koreatown near Wilshire & Vermont--not far from the LA Ecovillage (see
              http://www.ic.org/laev/ for details; they have housing available most of
              the time). I live carfree (except when on dates with my caraddicted
              fiancee) near Wilshire & La Brea, but I have to take a bus (one of the
              Rapids) to get to the nearest Metro station.

              Richard
              http://www.living-room.org
              http://www.newcolonist.com

              "Both our political and religious traditions instruct us that the truth
              makes us free. Our kind of government can govern effectively only by
              telling the truth, just as effective citizenship depends on knowing the
              truth. Official secrecy and official lies, even in a 'good cause,' can
              carry us toward tyranny. Our government is meant to conduct the public's
              business in public."

              Wendell Berry
            • Larry Felton Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
                I'll do another "believe it or not" and point out that as long as one sticks
                to the old parts of the city (variously called "intown" or "inside the
                perimeter" Atlanta is a quite good place to go car free.

                The optimal way to do it would be live downtown within a block or two of the
                Five Points MARTA station downtown. This puts you right at both rapid
                transit lines. With a combination of walking, train, cycling and bus you
                have virtually anything you'd ever need ranging from a two minute walk to a
                half hour combination trip (train and cycling or bus). Generally I've seen
                prices for purchase of condos in the 90,000 to 250,000 range, but a friend's
                sister picked one up for 60,000 not too long ago. I'm not sure about rental
                there.

                The two criticisms one hears about Atlanta is that it's impossible to live
                here without a car, which isn't true, and that there are no classic urban
                areas, which also isn't true.

                Larry

                > > Hi, I`m a new member,you guys probably have already dealt with this
                > > question but I was wondering what are the best cities to live without
                > > a car?I live in the Michigan and looking to move to a city somewhere
                > > that has good transportation and is affordable and warm.Any advice
                > > is helpful...thanks!!!
                > >
                > Believe it or not, parts of LA are possible! Anywhere near a Red Line
                > stop becomes functionally carfree, as you can get to about 80% of the
                > city then by transit fairly quickly. Best (and affordable) would be
                > Koreatown near Wilshire & Vermont--not far from the LA Ecovillage (see
                > http://www.ic.org/laev/ for details; they have housing available most of
                > the time). I live carfree (except when on dates with my caraddicted
                > fiancee) near Wilshire & La Brea, but I have to take a bus (one of the
                > Rapids) to get to the nearest Metro station.
                >
                > Richard
                > --
                > Richard Risemberg
                > http://www.living-room.org
                > http://www.newcolonist.com
                >
                > "Both our political and religious traditions instruct us that the truth
                > makes us free. Our kind of government can govern effectively only by
                > telling the truth, just as effective citizenship depends on knowing the
                > truth. Official secrecy and official lies, even in a 'good cause,' can
                > carry us toward tyranny. Our government is meant to conduct the public's
                > business in public."
                >
                > Wendell Berry

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Korn, Dan
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
                  How about Chicago? If you're a cyclist, it was recently voted by Bicycling Magazine as the number one or two big city in the U.S. for cycling. Of course, Bicycling Magazine says that you should only ride your bike after you've driven it somewhere on your SUV, but even for transportational cycling, Chicago is pretty good. And we have a very dynamic cycling community here, with plenty of activists as well as recreational cyclists. We had well over a thousand riders on our Critical Mass ride last Friday.

                  Of course, being in the United States of Automobiles, we have way too many cars in the city too, so there's a long way to go, but we're in a better situation than most other really big cities in North America. We have a really good bike-friendly public transportation system in the CTA as well, although it's currently facing a major budget crisis. It's not as extensive as the MTA in New York, but it's certainly better than the transit system in L.A., and compares favorably to other systems, even the ones in the Northwest. And despite massive gentrification in recent years, there are still affordable places to live in the city (unless you're really poor, in which case the powers-that-be pretty much want you to just go away).

                  But wait, you said you wanted somewhere warm. Well, I just rode into work and I can assure you that it's plenty warm in Chicago today! But you were probably talking about year-round. All I can say is that, while we do get some cold winters in Chicago, we have a lot of year-round cyclists, and we have plenty of fun with our Bike Winter activities:
                  www.bikewinter.org

                  Even if you're not a cyclist, Chicago's public transportation system does pretty well in the winter. Besides, if you're from Michigan, you're already used to the cold weather. And if you're car-free here, you can have fun laughing at the people putting lawn chairs in the street to claim parking spaces in the wintertime. Free furniture!

                  Dan
                  www.dankorn.com