August Issue of The New Colonist

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
      The August issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
      http://www.newcolonist.com!

      This month's features:

      * Helter Shelter
      Rachelle L'Ecuyer explores new paradigms for helping the homeless
      in St. Louis....
      * Love and Money
      Richard Risemberg ponders questions of love and money, and
      responsibility....
      * Development in Transit
      Eric Miller uncovers some urban successes in Pittsburgh, and sees
      ways they could do it even better....
      * Concierge
      Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
      weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings,
      classifieds, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!
      * Vox Civitatis
      Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
      assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
      state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

      And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
      in our more than 500-article Archive!
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Both our political and religious traditions instruct us that the truth
      makes us free. Our kind of government can govern effectively only by
      telling the truth, just as effective citizenship depends on knowing the
      truth. Official secrecy and official lies, even in a 'good cause,' can
      carry us toward tyranny. Our government is meant to conduct the public's
      business in public."

      Wendell Berry