Big ideas for urban areas...and how they were funded

  • redrobot300
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
      Hi,
      I'm researching what big civic infrastructure projects have been
      implemented over the past 30 years and how they were funded.
      Examples similar to Curitiba's transit system or New York's Central
      Park would be ideal (althouhg it doesn't have to be limited to
      green space and transit). The catch is large events like the
      Olympics, an expo or any other sort of BIG convention can't be the
      impetus for the project. I've found a handful of urban park and
      trail systems in Canada

      I was wondering if you knew of any in the states or elsewhere?...the
      only big infrastructure project I'm aware of is Boston's comical Big
      Dig expressway

      thanx

      Jeremy
    • Jeremy Hubble
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
        Chicago's Millenium Park was just opened last week. The chicago
        newspapers (www.chicagotribune.com and www.suntimes.com) both had a lot
        of coverage on the park and how it was funded.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
          There is the constantly evolving Metro system in Los Angeles; four rail lines built so far, along with extensions for one of them in progress now and extensions for one other in early planning stages. A new light rail line is moving intot eh planning stages, as well as bus enhancements and a busway (made to be convertible to light rail latter) in the Valley. Transit-oriented development incentives have spurred some superb associated projects adjacent to and even over Metro stops and bus terminals--Wilshire/Vermont station is now growing a retail complex with apartment and a school on top of it, and an old office building catercorner from the station is going condo. There is a complex and ever-changing mishmash of funding supporting this, and an intricate mix of grassroots actions, business involvements, and old-fashioioned politics interwoven into the twenty-year history of this ongoing project, so it should be a great project for you to study.

          Go to http://www.metro.net for basic information and links and contact info for the sources who could tell you more. Be prepared to be very busy. This is remaking the very fabric of Los Angeles from a bland congested sprawl to a real city of well-connected, lively urban nodes--a process that will take many decades more of effort.

          A simpler project, though less illustrative:

          Medellin, Colombia, has built a gondola lift to provide transport for hillside slum dwellers. Here are links:

          http://www.poma.net/english/actualite/evenements/medellin/info.htm
          http://www.elcolombiano.terra.com.co/BancoConocimiento/O/olac_primer_vuelo_metrocable_colombiano_17072004/olac_primer_vuelo_metrocable_colombiano_17072004.asp?CodSeccion=46

          Richard

          I'm researching what big civic infrastructure projects have been
          implemented over the past 30 years and how they were funded.
          Examples similar to Curitiba's transit system or New York's Central
          Park would be ideal (althouhg it doesn't have to be limited to
          green space and transit). The catch is large events like the
          Olympics, an expo or any other sort of BIG convention can't be the
          impetus for the project. I've found a handful of urban park and
          trail systems in Canada

          I was wondering if you knew of any in the states or elsewhere?...the
          only big infrastructure project I'm aware of is Boston's comical Big
          Dig expressway

          thanx

          Jeremy

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Henning Mortensen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2004
            I believe the Bus transitway built in Ottawa, Canada would qualify

            >Hi,
            >I'm researching what big civic infrastructure projects have been
            >implemented over the past 30 years and how they were funded.
            >Examples similar to Curitiba's transit system or New York's Central
            >Park would be ideal (althouhg it doesn't have to be limited to
            >green space and transit). The catch is large events like the
            >Olympics, an expo or any other sort of BIG convention can't be the
            >impetus for the project. I've found a handful of urban park and
            >trail systems in Canada
            >
            >I was wondering if you knew of any in the states or elsewhere?...the
            >only big infrastructure project I'm aware of is Boston's comical Big
            >Dig expressway
            >
            >thanx
            >
            >Jeremy

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*